How to get orange color (SRM 6-9) in Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zentr

Reaction score
The style guidelines allow for some orange color in a Saison. I like the look of it. The thing is, I don't want to have to add 4 lbs of Munich malt (10 L) to get there.

I'm considering adding 2 ounces of Chocolate Malt to my somewhat typical grain bill for a Saison (Pilsen, 1 lb Wheat Malt, 1 lb Vienna Malt).

Has anyone done this?
What are the ramifications? Will I taste that chocolate malt?
Should I do something different?

Thank you!

I've brewed usurper's How Rye I am Am Saison in the recipe database with D-90 syrup which gave it a nice red hue. I used 2lb for 11 gal or about 8-9%. A little less would probably give you orange.

Thanks for the responses/suggestions guys!

The darkest Dark Munich I see (on Northern Brewer) is 15L.

Special B might be good, but I don't want to have to buy a pound just for a couple ounces. I have some chocolate malt sitting around.

The D-90 candy syrup is an interesting option. I was already planning on using the Golden candy syrup. What I'm concerned with is the description for the D-90: " D90™ is the most versatile dark candi syrup with a mild palate of dark chocolate, dark stone fruit, slight hint of coffee, toffee, and medium-toasted bread notes." I don't want those flavors in a Saison.

I guess 2 lbs of Dark Munich (15L) would do it (instead of the Vienna).

Some places like brewmasters warehouse sell by the ounce and offer flat rate shipping.

I made a saison recently with 8 oz of Caramunich that had a nice orange color.

The D-90 does add some flavor, although it was fairly subtle in this particular brew that is otherwise just pilsner with some rye malt. I would say light toffee/raisin, I didn't perceive any chocolate or coffee. Not as strong as special B IME. But yeah, if you want strictly color probably better to go with something else.

Or something like midnight wheat or carafa III. Enough to adjust the color a few points will not add any noticeable flavor. You'll probably only need an ounce in a 5 gal batch to raise it about 2-3srm.

I have the same question as the OP for a session IPA I'm planning on brewing.

Or something like midnight wheat or carafa III. Enough to adjust the color a few points will not add any noticeable flavor. You'll probably only need an ounce in a 5 gal batch to raise it about 2-3srm.

At what point would the dark grain be added? After the mash? Does it need to be crushed?

During the mash. Yes crush it. The ones I mentioned are huskless grains, so they will not give the astringent flavors of other roasted grains. But either way, in such small amounts, you won't get those flavors.

Back