how to filter dry hops out of 5g carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMonkey

Reaction score
How diddley do, good neighbor-roonies.

I'm a new homebrewer, well kind of. I had 4 batches going and I'm ready to bottle my IPA which has been dry hopped.

When I tested the FG of the beer with my turkey baster I picked up a few leaves. I was thinking about using some sort of double stainless strainer mesh around my auto-siphon (in the carboy) to prevent the leafs/petals from getting into my bottling bucket. What's the normal practice?

This batch is a "RyePA", tasted really good! 1.046 OG 2/19/2013, today it's @ 1.011 (3/12/13).

What else do I have going on.....2 5g batches of cider.....the first one was put into 1 gallon jugs...dry, from an orchard just a couple miles away. the other batch of cider is from Whole foods (where I got the jugs) - it's going to be Mike's caramel apple hard cider. My first batch was an amber ale from Midwest.

i had the same problem with green flakes floating around in my FV. i was told they would settle to the bottom, but after 3 weeks in FV they are still suspended and not dropping. i just siphoned into my keg anyways. just me drinking it. i did notice that i really wasn't getting green bits in the glass.

i will be putting them in a sack next time i dry hop. save my the hassel of floaters.

Some have reported success securing a sanitized hop bag type filter over the end of a racking cane. Others choose just to rack and chance sucking up a bit of hops...chances, are any particles that get transfered will rest at the bottom of the keg or bottles and never be an issue.

cool- the couple particles didn't bother me when drinking the sampling tube.... & if someone likes hops it shouldn't bother them, maybe even add a little to it's authenticity. Not sure what I'll do just yet. I have nearly enough bottles sanitized and it's bottling time

Maybe next time I'll try pellets instead of whole hops for the dry hop stage.

+1 for sanitized hop bag over the racking cane. I prefer it on the output end. I would advise against allowing hop particles into your finished beer...not a great presentation when you pour (doesn't compact as nicely as yeast does, IME)

Latest posts

Back