How to clean a jar that contained chemicals?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moristron

Reaction score
I bought beautiful 3L (0.8gal) vintage brown glass jar at a second hand store a while ago. It looked perfect for making yeast starters.

It looks like something that was used to store some kind of chemicals , like in a photo lab. I used a bottle brush to thoroughly clean it...rinsed it several times with water and oxi clean that I left in for a few days.

Would that be sufficient to take out the toxics (assuming they were there in the first place, and were serious)?

Can you recommend something I could use to make sure it contains no toxic material? Or how I can check for this? I would really like to use this thing, but am concerned about my health...and that of my friends :)

Best,

Tron

For a few bucks you can buy a brand new container and absolutely be sure no chemicals were in it. Anything that has anything other than edible contents in it, I would NOT use. Just not worth the risk in my book.

Got a pic?

I asked a chemist: if it's got some sticky organic stuff then use 70/30 isopropyl (rubbing alcohol), it's better than the 100% stuff too. If it may have other stuff then hit it with HCL (hydrocloric acid) and let it sit, the HCL dilutes/washes out with water.

Latest posts

Back