How to Calculate PSI-to-Keg For Root Beer Force Carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rootbeer!

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm looking into force carbonating my root beer recipes since my endeavors with yeast have been problematic. My question is about calculating the amount of PSI I would need to accomplish:
  1. A lot of head
  2. Carbonation of the soda throughout
I'm using a 2 1/2 gallon keg. I've read in some places here and other forums that turning up the PSI to 30-40 then rolling it for 25-30 minutes helps integrate the CO2 into the soda. From there you would bring it down to 25-30 PSI for 3-5 days as soda is heavier and requires more PSI to properly carbonate. However, I've read some people had no foam at all and had to bump theirs up to 30-40 PSI!

Does anyone know some ways to figure out proper PSI needed to accomplish my two goals? Thanks in advance.

The way you have described will yield inconsistent results. Better to set it at a desired PSI and leave it for a couple weeks. If you're in a true rush then you can do 36 hrs at 36 PSI, and then set to the desired PSI.

Use this chart to determine where you should set your regulator as carbonation is a function of PSI and temperature.

For soda, I'd aim for 3-3.2 volumes of CO2. Then adjust up or down for your preference...

I have my 2% ginger beer at the same pressure as the rest of the beers 12.5 psi with non return valves in the system to give 2.3 vols. The sparkling water is carbed to 3.7 on separate spur.
I use this calculator

https://drhansbrewery.com/beercarbonationcalculator/
note temp is a factor in the calculation.

High vols of CO2 won't necessarily mean you get a big head on your root beer, that is an ingredient, clean glass and carbonation related area.

Think of champagne or lemonade they have much higher carbonation than beer but the head just disappears really quick.

If the pressure is too high in the beer you will pour foam if your kegerator isn't balanced and that will be flat by the time the foam subsides. It's a balancing act.

Back