How to bottle from a Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvend

Reaction score
Hi, to bottle carbonated beer from a Keg, what's the trick? I plan to get the Keg at 3C then, place the pressure at 30 psi (to avoid foaming inside the beer) and using my Counter pressure filler from morebeer.com, from a long line (don't know how long, hope you can tell me) begin dispensing my beer inside the bottle?

Is this ok? How can I avoid flat beer inside the bottle?

Hey Jvend,

I think that counter pressure filling your beer at that pressure is going to be difficult. I would recommend carbonating it to around 11-13psi. Once it's properly carbonated, use the counter pressure filler and push at around the same pressure (I usually relieve the head space of the keg, turn the regulator to 8psi, and fill at that pressure). The great thing about the counter pressure filler is that you're filling against pressure which will help to minimize the amount of CO2 that is lost in solution. Just remember to cap on foam, and it should workout just fine.

PS - Also remember to turn the valve of your CPBF off before pulling the bottle away. Unless you'd like to get drenched with beer (I don't think anybody would blame you if you said yes to that...)

Cheers, and good luck!

Whoa.... 30psi is way too much! You should only need around 10psi or less - at least that's what I typically use. You have to experiment and learn your particular setup - but 30 is for sure way too much.

Once you get used to it, you won't get foaming.

One way to help prevent foaming, is if your bottles are cold. I know it's not convenient to keep them cold, but at least they shouldn't be hot, or still too warm, from when you sanitized them.

I think it took me about half a batch of beer to figure out the pressure needed, and my relief valve setting on my counter pressure filler. I found when I fill a little bit slower, with the relief valve set to close to my beer pressure - it fills perfectly every time.

Just experiment and you'll learn to fill with no foam every time.

Back