How to Back sweeten blackberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmchair

Reaction score
I did a vintners harvest can 3 gallons of wine. A sample tastes very red table wine-like. Id like to take the edge off a little with some homemade simple syrup. How much do I use? (I don't want kool aid though.) Would a small amount of sweet help it or just get lost in translation?
Any downside to adding varying amounts to each bottle before corking?

There's no real hard and fast rule for back sweetening because everyone likes it just a little more or less sweet. I'd make up a nice blackberry compote or simple syrup (use honey, you'll be glad you did) and add it in the secondary a little at a time and taste until the flavor is where you want it. Make sure that you've already killed your yeast off, or fermentation will continue. Also, try to be very conscious of oxidizing your wine. Add a little Potassium Metabisulfite before you begin, and bottle immediately after you get the flavor where you want it! Hope that helps!

I'd go along with what BrewChatter suggests but I would fine tune this. Take five or six identical samples of your wine and add known volumes of sugar to each sample so that you will know how much TOTAL sugar to add to the TOTAL volume of wine. If the experiment does not work precisely but you know that the amount of sugar you need to add is between two samples then you simply use the two samples as the lower and upper limits and test amounts of added sugar that fall between these two amounts: this called bench testing.

Back