how to all grain brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlezracer

Reaction score
Ok I havent even bottled my first home brew kit and I want to do a all grain. I have NO idea what I am doing. I have 3 half barrels and metal working skills to make a brew stand. I have all the burners but have no clue on what to do. Is there a sit that I can go to for a step by step process? thanks.

Go to the DIY section look up brew structures or brewstands. I believe there are stickies at the top of that forum that to link to a lot of the nice threads. Oh and look up keggle and mash tun.

Good luck, you definitely doing the right thing. Go right to what you want and save yourself money re-buying stuff.

Tell you what I just did a Google search "all grain brew stands" just out of curiosity and got TONS of hits. Or you could do a couple searches using the mug at the top right hand corner of this page (just learned about it myself) using "brew stands" or some such search words and you'll get a lot of ideas.
Cheers.

Yeah and like two one seven says save yourself some money and go big, never fails.. always seem to need to upgrade

Yeah and like two one seven says save yourself some money and go big, never fails.. always seem to need to upgrade

Yup I have upgraded my brewpot once since January, still doing 5 gal batches. No I want to go to 10 gal batches and a brew structure.........so new pots and a bunch of other goodies.

Yup I have upgraded my brewpot once since January, still doing 5 gal batches. No I want to go to 10 gal batches and a brew structure.........so new pots and a bunch of other goodies.

Ha yep did the 5's bought new gear and started doing some 10's now I'm starting to hear rumblings about going electric. Swapped my stuff to natural gas not to long ago so may ignore the rumblings about electric, but they are still there!

You really want to pick up "How to Brew" by Palmer. It's excellent and required reading for all grain. He also goes into exactly what is required but a few things I would HIGHLY recommend for large batches is

1) Double Roller Grain Mill
2) Immersion Cooler or hopback, you need either of these since you have to cool down 10g of boiling water.
3) A 5L erlenmeyer flask since you will need huge starters
4) A stir plate for making those huge starters
5) Insulation for the pots

I hate to tell you but going from 5G to 10G or more is quite expensive and a lot of work. For my setup it would require a second burner for a heated MLT, pumps which can take the heat, a keggie setup.... I have been doing this for a while now and I am very happy with 5g and am looking at getting bigger but it is really expensive and hard. Be prepared to spend some cash.

I hate to tell you but going from 5G to 10G or more is quite expensive and a lot of work. For my setup it would require a second burner for a heated MLT, pumps which can take the heat, a keggie setup.... I have been doing this for a while now and I am very happy with 5g and am looking at getting bigger but it is really expensive and hard. Be prepared to spend some cash.

Whoa now! I have brewed plenty of 10 G batches with none of this equipment. Just two 10G Rubbermaid coolers (MLT/HLT) one 15G pot and a single burner. I simply built a gravity feed brewstand out of 2x4's. Go big, if you already have 3 half barrel kegs you are well on your way.

If there is a homebrew supply store near you, see if they offer classes. My LHBS conducts classes all the time. Even after I had read, studied and YouTube'd my way to understanding the all-grain process, I still learned a lot from attending an all-grain class and watching a medal winning brewer at work. Good Luck!

Whoa now! I have brewed plenty of 10 G batches with none of this equipment. Just two 10G Rubbermaid coolers (MLT/HLT) one 15G pot and a single burner. I simply built a gravity feed brewstand out of 2x4's. Go big, if you already have 3 half barrel kegs you are well on your way.

I had a lot of cinder blocks laying around and built me a concrete stand. Gravity system yeah that's the answer. Burner under the top hot liquor tank to middle mash tun down to burner under the boil kettle. With kegs though it could get a little tall!

I had a lot of cinder blocks laying around and built me a concrete stand. Gravity system yeah that's the answer. Burner under the top hot liquor tank to middle mash tun down to burner under the boil kettle. With kegs though it could get a little tall!

This is exactly how I do it, three tier on a gorilla shelf with some fab'd boxes for getting the correct height. It's not hard at all and can be done exactly like a 5g batch simply using larger coolers/pots etc. : )

This is exactly how I do it, three tier on a gorilla shelf with some fab'd boxes for getting the correct height. It's not hard at all and can be done exactly like a 5g batch simply using larger coolers/pots etc. : )

Yea I have a nice covered concrete patio. Just stacked the blocks. Used some bricks under the burners for support and also to retain heat and block the wind. The cinder blocks sideways make shelves too.

:rockin:

The most effective way of doing 10+G batches is to use a single MLT to avoid splitting the grain up and having to maintain two MLTs and keeping that under heat with a separate burner (generally on very low) with that MLT wrapped up in insulation. Yes, you could do 2 10G coolers but at that point you are basically making two separate beers which just happen to be the same thing.

You need to plan this very carefully and look at good designs. You can not lift anything once it is filled with 10G of water and is hot (unlike 5G which though heavy is not impossible). This means that you need a way to heat up water for striking and sparging, a grain pump if you plan to do decoction mashing, a way to keep the MLT at a consistent temperature either through two tuns or one keggie with insulation on a burner, and a way to keep 12-14G of liquid in a rolling boil. You will go through propane like crazy unless you have it hooked up to a gas line.

You do NEED to get a cooling system and a way to make a huge starter and I mean massive. The liquid smack packs are good for about 2 gallons of beer (yes technically 5) but for a very nice fast start you should at least double the amount for 5G so you are looking at needing to grow the yeast by about 400% to 500% which really means making a 3-4qt starter or so and letting the yeast grow. For best results, get a stir plate. I actually got a stir plate and I have to say that it is the best purchase I have made after my immersion cooler and grain mill. For 6G+ I would say that this no longer optional.

The cooling coil (immersion cooler) or hop back system is not an option. You have to cool 10G of boiling water to 70 degrees as fast as possible. I have also seen cooling plates designed for 10G as immersion coolers might not cut it anymore. You could easily make one with soft copper but you will need something.

The grain mill is technically an option. You could get your grain crushed but it would be much more cost effective to get 55lb bags for 2 to 3 brews. A 50GP beer is now 20# of grain. Going up to about 60 would be about 25lb of grain. You really want to get a crusher for this and get a good one. The double roller mill with a huge funnel would be my recommendation as it's cheap, reliable and can work with a drill.

I have been thinking about going up to 10G batches for a while now but the amount of stuff, the construction of the towers, the extra burners and the whole setup in general is preventing me from doing it as I live in an apartment and don't have a garage. Really plan this out and keep track of how much you are spending since this has a tendency to really blow out of control.

Also, can I can not stress this enough, READ BOOKS. Palmer is a master brewer and has tons of setups for this. Brewing Better Beer is fantastic but advanced. Brewing Lager Beer is a professional book but Noonan is a god among men. Make changes slowly to systems and get your process down. It is a huge benefit going from extract to all grain but it changes everything that you do and doubles your brew day.

Also start out SMALL. Do a normal beer (50GP) before trying to get into really fancy stuff. You have time to do it but it takes a lot of practice to do it right and a lot of people new to this make this mistake.

Asterix is making an emphatic case against 10G batches, and I understand where he is coming from, but it is not that much more equipment and it is not that much harder. I have done plenty of 10G batches, as well as hundreds (if not thousands) of other brewers on here, and my initial 10G setup cost around $400. I have made a lot of improvements since then.
I use one 10G cooler for my MLT, it works great, there are plenty of demos on here for how to build one. The second cooler is my HLT, I heat water to 185 then put half of it in the cooler then lift it up to the top of the stand and wearing my gloves I add the rest of the sparge water (that way I am never lifting more than about 4G of water). Then I fly sparge into brew pot that is on the bottom tier of my setup. The BK uses the ONLY burner in my system. My brewstand cost about $10 and a couple hours of work. Please don't anyone be afraid to create a 10G system.
To chill I use my homemade 50' IC until I get down to ~100 then I hook up my homemade prechiller to bring the temp down to 70 or so. My chiller and pre-chiller cost around $60 combined. Next I rack to two 6.5G carboys and throw in yeast I grew in my two 2L Erlenmeyer Flasks, I do not use a stir plate. It is simple to do. No one should be intimidated by the process, once you can make 5G batches doing 10G batches will only add 30 to 45 minutes to your total brew time.

As a note, I am not against 10+ gallon systems, but going from a first brew to 10G all grain requires buying or making a ton of equipment and it would really help to also understand yeast pitching rates, how much grain will need to be purchased, storage space, cooling temps since you are now doing a full boil, mash steps etc. Really just basic all grain stuff. None of this is impossible but making a mistake with 5G is less problematic than 10G and also a lot less expensive. Getting a stuck mash has a higher probability of happening in the first few batches, especially if you crush your own grain. Having a stuck mash with 5G is much easier to fix or toss than 10G. The first and only time I had a stuck mash was the first time I crushed my own grain and didn't condition. I crushed too tight but I wanted that extra efficiency and couldn't recover from it. I was only making 5G and I tossed it swearing up and down. It was an extra variable which I was tuning and I failed the first time and haven't since. Wasting 20 to 30$ in grain is more expensive than 10-15.

This is not impossible but I don't want to see someone work their asses off for a few weeks and spending hundred of dollars preparing everything that they think they need and then on brew day realize that they needed this extra thing that they didn't think of. This is why reading books helps and going to 5G, adding a bit more and going to 10G is how I would do it. Almost all of the equipment is useful for both systems and if you already have a few keggies, why not get the process of doing good 5G batches and then expanding to 10G once the basic process is worked out which REALLY is NOT HARD.

That being said, you need to worry about yeast pitching rates or buy a lot more yeast. I can not (and have yet to) stress this enough. Getting enough yeast for a 5G batch is hard from a smack pack, getting it for a 10G system is harder unless you pitch from slurry or top crop which is a great idea to try. Basically, this process does take some time to learn as a hobby and jumping right in to making 10G of imperial porter with vanilla beans and whiskey soaked french oak chips is going to suck if you under pitch and it gets infected, or you forgot to sanitize something, or any host of other problems.

I am all for people expanding their setups and systems and making the best damn beer that they can in a quantity that they see fit, but saying that this is going to be cheap and easy is an outright lie, even with the 3 kettles already owned. You can always go out and buy or make all of the equipment that you need, but in my experience figuring out what you need and when is something that you learn through doing or reading books, or talking with people at the LHBS.

This might sound very pessimistic and difficult but I really don't mean it this way. You don't start doing complex mathematics without knowing algebra. That is basically my point. Go nuts as much as you want, but be knowledgeable as to what you need to do first. My first few all grains ware terrible. My dozens since then have been great. Really this is only to say, start small and learn as much as you can and add things slowly. This way when something goes wrong you know exactly where it went wrong and know how to fix it.

Good Grief asterix404.. if i had read one of your posts before I started brewing I never would have started!
Really, it's not rocket science. It's REALLY REALLY REALLY fun!!!
10 gallons simply means two 6 gallon carboys or two 5 gallon batches. No biggie
And the yeast.. good grief Safale 05 or 04 dry makes fantastic beer and one packet does very well on a fairly big beer. On a smaller beer.. well it's absolutely not an issue. So if a new fella doesn't want to delve into liquid yeast and starters so on and so forth he doesn't have to.
Littlezracer.. do some reading, check out some of these other guys systems and then do what you want. i was a 5 gallon extract brewer until I watched a buddy do all grain. I knew right then that I wanted to do all grain (nothing wrong with extract!!!). I went with a 5 gallon setup cause I never thought I'd do 10 gallons. However it's nearly impossible to do a 5 gallon imperial IPA's or even a good strong 5 gallon IPA in a 5 gallon cooler. I graduated to a 10 gallon cooler soon after I figured this out and of course larger pots.

I guess all I'm saying is think about the kind of beers you are going to want to brew and buy the equipment that will get you where you want to be. It's alllll doable!!! : )
Cheers littlezracer!

Agreed Asterix has made me afraid and maybe I'll go back to doing extract mini mashes! Been doing 10g batches of any gravity for the last two years with a simple 72qt Coleman extreme as a MT which holds up to 40lbs of grain and a keggle for the boil kettle. No pumps and i use an immersion chiller. As for "gigantic" starters yes these are great for "some beers" etc but as just stated a couple packets of US-05 will ferment out 10g of most beers. Now let's talk about the elephant in the room here......BIAB! This is completely doable for 10g batches just requires a larger pot but there are also alternatives such as Maxi-BIAB etc... Research it, no pumps or multiple vessels needed. I am setting up a 10g BIAB setup currently for days when my current brew partner can't get together.

In Asterix's defense the OP did say that he hadn't even bottled his first batch and had no idea what he was doing. I think before someone plunks down several hundred dollars that should have some basic idea of what they are doing. Otherwise you'll see a 10G brewing rig on sale on Craigslist in a couple months. This means that the OP really needs to do some basic reading on all grain batches and watch some videos on YouTube. Why spend all that time and money if your beer sucks?

All-Grain is really easy and not nearly as difficult as a lot of people make it out to be. As with all things related to brewing, it could be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be.

Essentially you do the following:

1) Heat X volume of water to X temperature and soak your grains for 60 or 90 minutes, depending on recipe. I mash in a 10G rubber maid cooler which works great for me.
2) Drain mash tun.
3) Heat X volume of water to X temperature and mix with grains for a batch sparge. Some people fly sparge but batch sparging is the simpler method. Let it sit for ten minutes.
4) Drain mash tun.
5) Proceed to boil and add hops.

It's not complicated.

Asterix is very correct when he says to pay attention to your yeast. A lot of people neglect this aspect of brewing and just put their carboy in a corner of the room at room temperature and are surprised when it doesn't taste that great.

Find a way to control your fermentation temperatures and pitch the correct amount of yeast. If you're using liquid yeast, that means yeast starters. Google Mr. Malty for a good read on that. Good yeast techniques is what separates the average home brewers from the excellent ones IMO.

Also, can I can not stress this enough, READ BOOKS. Palmer is a master brewer and has tons of setups for this. Brewing Better Beer is fantastic but advanced. Brewing Lager Beer is a professional book but Noonan is a god among men. Make changes slowly to systems and get your process down. It is a huge benefit going from extract to all grain but it changes everything that you do and doubles your brew day.
[/QUOTE]

I agree, I'm a noob, but I read palmers book before I bought anything. My plan is to do 7-10 extract kits,, then partial mash 3-5 then move to all grain kits before designing. This will take me awhile...but this hobby is really all about being rewarded for dutiful patience. Which is fine with me. This is a hobby i've really come to love (after only 4 kits) and I'm taking the long road so I don't get frustrated and kick it to the curb. So far so good...I haven't been disappointed yet. Cheers!

Quote from Asterix404...don't know why it didnt load it right.

Back