How to add water to finished beer without oxidation? Accidently made beer syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H20ENG

Reaction score
So I boiled waaay too long and my 8.5g target Double Sunshine DIPA is all in a 5g corny. OG 1.096 / FG 1.019. Its even thicker since I added some oats.
I have experimented with adding 10-20% water by volume (only in the glass) to thin it out just a bit. Playing with the idea of thinning the whole batch. Anybody done this?
My thoughts are to:
1. Pressure transfer half the beer to another corny to make room.
2. Boil the water both for sterilization and de-aeration. I'd boil it in my kettle so I could drain it into the kegs through the bottom valve.
3. Feed the water into the corny through the dip tube to completely avoid any aeration.

Or just suck it up and drink this sticky, man-size 10% beer, LOL
Thanks for any info!

Your method sounds fine, but I vote for suck it up and drink the sticky beer. Call it a "holiday" beer and people will be all about that

Thanks Gents. Likely not worth the hassle. It's still a GREAT beer as is just very heavy. 8oz Citra, 8oz Azacca, and 2oz Amarillo. :)

Well it's winter (if you're in the northern hemisphere anyway) so I say you have your winter warmer beer for the season.

Back