How to add permanent volume markings to a kettle (illustrated)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Direct current (DC) is a "safe" type of electric. You can touch either side of a DC circuit and not be harmed. The only time you can be harmed (in high voltage instances) by a DC current is if you complete the circuit (holding both wires at the same time). Since this project requires a really low voltage (under 24V), you'll be fine.

But you'd probably feel it if you licked it like a 9v battery! :mug:

Direct current (DC) is a "safe" type of electric. You can touch either side of a DC circuit and not be harmed. The only time you can be harmed (in high voltage instances) by a DC current is if you complete the circuit (holding both wires at the same time). Since this project requires a really low voltage (under 24V), you'll be fine.

LOL. It's only the "safe" type because the most common uses are low voltage and low current (ie single cell batteries or chargers). High Voltage DC can do quite some damage. Anything under 60VDC has much less safety restrictions than 60+VDC. The Class B Power Electronics area at my work requires only cotton clothing, no jewlery, and a special lab coat just to enter the area. Granted most of the stuff in there is 700+VDC with lots of current behind it (Think generators/motors for large tractors and machinery like http://www.betterroads.com/files/2013/12/JohnDeere.jpg).

Yup you're right. I work for the utility company, everything we wear must be a minimum 2 HRC arc rating. But 95% of the time I work with A/C which, IMO, is a lot more dangerous to work with being that everything you touch could be charged or could ground you into circuit. In other words, a typical house outlet. You jam a single knife into the socket, your getting a hell of a jolt. If it were D/C, you'd have to jam a knife into both sides to get zapped. That's where I get the reference "safe" from.

This is exactly what I've been looking to do in my keg conversions!!! Thanks for the post and all of the helpful posts from everyone else!!

Cheers!!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Electricity needs to be respected. 50,000 vac static shock zaps but very little amperage involved. A walk across a carpet and touching a doorknob will let you know that.

28 volts DC with some amperage behind it will jolt you hard, knock you on your butt even.

A 9 vdc low amperage little battery and your body's resistance and you won't feel a thing. Unless you put it on something sensitive and wet, like your tongue.

This etching method described by the OP is not going to hurt you. Just don't try and use a car battery charger. Low voltage. Lots of amps. Current kills.

Hook up the POSITIVE lead directly to your kettle.
Attach the NEGATIVE lead directly to a Q-tip, making sure the wires will be touching the vinegar solution.

When you say to hook the positive directly to the kettle, am I taking the wire and wrapping it around a handle to serve this purpose? I ask because in the picture, it doesn't look like the wires are separated and both wires are wrapped around the qtip. Thanks.

You can wrap the positive wire around a handle or tape it to the side of the kettle, whatever as long as positive is in contact with some part of the kettle that you're not etching.

This etching method described by the OP is not going to hurt you. Just don't try and use a car battery charger. Low voltage. Lots of amps. Current kills.

Not really true it takes a combination of voltage and amps to kill you. Actually a car battery charger works great and is what I used to do my etching. The charger all ready has the alligator clips and made it easy to connect. I used it set on the 6 amp setting and worked great. Your body is a poor conductor at low voltage AC or DC. You can grab both posts of a battery capable of producing a 1000 amps of current and not get electrocuted. Just be careful not to short the battery with a better conductor or you could get burned and obviously do not put your tongue on it :)

MaxOut Brewstationle

Electricity is a lazy creature. It takes the path of least resistance. It u become that path, ot will hit u. MaxOut, sir, a car battery has the "potential" to kill u. Thats all electricity is anyway is "potential energy". Given the right condition your heart can be stopped@ .75mA. Now, it is unlikely and using a battery charger u do have a breaker in line. Take a meter and check the resistance of your body vs the voltage and amperage of the battery and you should come up with the actual numbers. Look up ohms law for ur answer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Electricity is a lazy creature. It takes the path of least resistance. It u become that path, ot will hit u. MaxOut, sir, a car battery has the "potential" to kill u. Thats all electricity is anyway is "potential energy". Given the right condition your heart can be stopped@ .75mA. Now, it is unlikely and using a battery charger u do have a breaker in line. Take a meter and check the resistance of your body vs the voltage and amperage of the battery and you should come up with the actual numbers. Look up ohms law for ur answer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

I think your decimal point is in the wrong place.

Your heart can be stopped with a hard tackle to the chest in touch football gone wrong. Yes, electricity is dangerous, be safe. Can we move on now without all the heart stoppage discussions?

I'm having issues trying to get this to work and the only thing I can think of is that I am using sea salt instead of plain old salt, would that make a difference? I didn't have any spare power cords either so I just striped an extra extension cord and used those wires, that would work for wiring right?

I'm having issues trying to get this to work and the only thing I can think of is that I am using sea salt instead of plain old salt, would that make a difference? I didn't have any spare power cords either so I just striped an extra extension cord and used those wires, that would work for wiring right?

What???????? I hope you mean you are using extention cord wire on your 9V battery?
Only things would be more salt and check you have a decent charge on the battery.

Just picked up a fresh battery and regular salt. I'll try it later and report, time for homebrew club meeting!

Got it work with a fresh battery and new different wiring. Made a test run on my lid... This is going to be fun. Kettle is up next.

1394697272393.jpg

I decided to do this. No more mash paddle guessing and such. Just need to go destroy another old cell phone charger and find a 9V. Well and get stencils. I saw it when the OP posted to reddit and now I really want to do it after seeing examples.

Me too! Will post pics once done.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Home Brew mobile app

I started mine tonight...will add the numbers this weekend.

Sent from my One X using Home Brew mobile app

1394763283055.jpg

There was a reddit post on reasons not to do this. If I can find the link, I'll post it

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Home Brew mobile app

There was a reddit post on reasons not to do this. If I can find the link, I'll post it

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Home Brew mobile app

I thought we hashed that out on this thread already - and the answer was not to listern to that guy :D

Palmer said it's ok... I trust him

Sent from my LG-P769 using Home Brew mobile app

Not perfect but so much better than the pipe I used to use to gauge the levels. My 7.25,7.5,7.75 lines got a little off but it's good enough for me. Awesome trick gotta love the DIY nature of homebrewers!

1394797508197.jpg

Back