How to add permanent volume markings to a kettle (illustrated)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been wanting to use this technique to label my kegs. Finally got around to it. Got 8 unused kegs done up today. 4 more to go along with smaller numbers for the corny lids. I found that wrapping a cotton ball around the end of the q-tip helped for my thick numbers. I used a bench DC power supply. I ended up setting it to 12 volts, which got a good sizzle. With the increased surface area from the cotton ball I was drawing up to 4 amps. I am impressed with how much they stand out.

Those look great. I was thinking about doing the same, but like most of my hobby lists of things I want to do I see something shiny and off I go. This is on the list and at some point I will get-r-done.

That looks freaking cool! Personally I've got sight glasses on everything and I don't think I would ever change that if I got new ones, but I am very intrigued about putting stuff on the outside and maybe on kegs. Where did you get your vinyl done?

Thanks Spellman!

I worked with a guy named Dan on Etsy to design my logo, but he has a bunch of other great decals that he cuts. I don't think he's doing custom work any more, but I am guessing he would cut stock labels for you.

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1009995176?

I have the vinyl version of my logo on my swing-tops in green, blue, and white. I think it looks pretty sharp there too.

0 (1).jpg

I just wanted to voice my sincere thanks to OP. Tried this method this weekend, and it worked like a charm. I love the DIY culture of homebrewing!

image.jpg

This thread is just what I needed! :rockin:

The Roman numerals someone else in the thread did really struck a chord with me, don't know what happened to some of those quarter hash marks though :/

One thing is the etching wasn't a totally consistent "color", kinda splotchy. Not a big deal, and was probably an issue of skin oils interfering with the solution. Really, I'm just being anal at this point. This was a fun evening!

I also used a 9v wall wart.

THANKS ITSGUS!!:mug:

vrkl1jm.jpg

This thread is just what I needed! :rockin:

The Roman numerals someone else in the thread did really struck a chord with me, don't know what happened to some of those quarter hash marks though :/

One thing is the etching wasn't a totally consistent "color", kinda splotchy. Not a big deal, and was probably an issue of skin oils interfering with the solution. Really, I'm just being anal at this point. This was a fun evening!

I also used a 9v wall wart.

THANKS ITSGUS!!:mug:

vrkl1jm.jpg

Your Roman numerals look much better than mine.

This is a great thread!

Has anyone considered etching their aluminum CO2 tanks with their last name or initials to tag it and ensure that they get their tank back?

This is a great thread!

Has anyone considered etching their aluminum CO2 tanks with their last name or initials to tag it and ensure that they get their tank back?

I'm not sure that I've ever gotten the same CO2 tank back, I usually just swap out for one of the full ones at the LHBS. I am sure the etching would work on the cylinder, just not so sure that the next guy wants my name on his tank.

Look around for a welding or plumbing supply shop. I pay $18 to refill a 10 pound cylinder.

I did mine a couple of weeks ago. It was actually tricky taping off the demarcation lines for the first few gallons (1, 2, ...), as they were at the very bottom of my kettle, and it was difficult to see what I was doing down there and make sure the line was taped off in the correct spot. I carefully measured out cold water, a gallon at a time, to see where to place the marks. After I'd filled the kettle above any other volume-affecting items (my pickup tube, the whirlpool return tube), I just measured the distance between gallon marks (29 mm) and placed the remaining marks at those intervals instead of actually measuring out the rest of the water, gallon by gallon.

It actually worked surprisingly well, although it got annoying to keep moving the '1' stencil, as my kit only came with one, and there are a lot of ones between 10 and 15. :)

Thanks to this thread, I now have an etched kettle! Granted, the 7 is backwards but it ads flair. LOL
:mug:

Turned out pretty well. I was originally thinking about putting numbers on but I think I'll leave just the graduation marks. If I can find some small numbers I may do it later. I know the top mark is 18 gallons and that works just fine. I used a set of mini jumper cables that I made for my motorcycle tool kit a few years ago. They worked well. The gator clips held the positive and negative terminals just fine. I taped each on so they wouldn't come in contact with each other.

IMG_20151227_160657848.jpg

Does anyone have photos of the inside of a keggle that was etched?

It was harder to etch, I upgraded to an 18v laptop power supply and that sped things up significantly. Since you have to burn through the surface treatment it is much harder to get a consistent look like you would with polished SS.

nYnYtGo.jpg

Finished this on my 10 gallon ALUMINUM pot! Turned out pretty good. Although there's no way I'm getting 10 gallons in this thing :/.

I ended up using the 12v power supply from my stir plate. That worked fantastic.

View attachment 333341View attachment 333342View attachment 333343View attachment 333344

Let us know if you're etching lasts past a few brew days. I didn't do this to my aluminum pot because it was my understanding that the aluminum would just cover the etching back up with an oxide layer.

Finished this on my 10 gallon ALUMINUM pot!
Although there's no way I'm getting 10 gallons in this thing :/.
View attachment 333344

Your project did come out great BUT I have to point out that based on the picture that one of two things is true:
1) you don't have a 10 gallon kettle
2) you messed up and mismarked it.

Your project did come out great BUT I have to point out that based on the picture that one of two things is true:
1) you don't have a 10 gallon kettle
2) you messed up and mismarked it.

Believe me I measured it at least 4 times with different 1 gallon jugs to compare. Turns out its not a full 10 gallon pot.

And I'll be sure to let you guys know how it still looks after a few brews.

Would this wire (that I cut from and old phone charger) work if i used the smaller split end on a 9 volt battery and the opposite end with the larger split on the q-tip and pot?

Yup.

You can also take a look around your house for a wall charger that has 9 volts (to save your batteries). I found an old remote control car charger was 9V and worked as well as the batteries, but my old 18V laptop charger was WAY faster!

I used a wire like yours, and taped the "battery" ends into and onto the charger plug with masking tape. Worked fine and I can still use the laptop charger when I'm not etching.

Good luck.

Yup.

You can also take a look around your house for a wall charger that has 9 volts (to save your batteries). I found an old remote control car charger was 9V and worked as well as the batteries, but my old 18V laptop charger was WAY faster!

I used a wire like yours, and taped the "battery" ends into and onto the charger plug with masking tape. Worked fine and I can still use the laptop charger when I'm not etching.

Good luck.

Great idea! Thanks for the info!

I spent over an hour, carefully measuring and marking my kettle. Mixed the vinegar / salt solution, wired the 9v battery, dipped the Q-tip in the solution, tested it against the underside of the kettle nothing. I tested the wiring with my voltmeter and it reads 9.2v, I even made sure to take the reading from multiple places in the kettle to make sure I had good continuity. Tried again. Nothing.

What gives? I mixed 1/4 cup vinegar with 1/4 tsp of salt. Should I have used more salt?

Back