How to Add Dwarf Plums to Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunward33

Reaction score
Over the summer I picked about 20 lbs of dwarf plums (about the size of a cherry) to use in a red sour.
I've picked out a recipe and am ready to brew.
The only thing I'm not sure of is whether or not to pit the plums before adding to secondary.
Does it make a difference and if so what is that difference?
I would assume that I should use a larger weight of plums if the pits are left in. But will it affect the flavor of the beer?

I'm not sure about plums, but a lot of traditional Belgian brewers leave the pits in from cherries when making a kreik. It's supposed to add a slight nutty flavor to the beer. If that's something you want I would say go ahead and leave the pits in. I would say at least halve the plums before tossing them in. I agree with wino that you should wait a while before adding them. If the sacch starts to die off then the Brett and bugs will be the ones feeding off the sugars in the plums. So maybe around 6 months you could add the fruit.

Back