How to: 3/8" brass weldless valve on aluminun kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jr14

Reaction score
I know there are a ton of ball valve how to's on the site, but for the life of me, I couldn't find a definitive one for a 3/8" valve on an aluminum kettle, so here goes.

Here's the equipment I used:

I used 3/8" brass because for some reason, in this area of Connecticut, stainless steel is non existant, and 1/2" fittings are outrageously expensive. It was quite a jump in price from 3/8" to 1/2".

The I.D. of everything is 3/8", and the O.D. of all the fittings are 5/8" Which means the orings I.D. is 5/8". I got 50 of them (Size 016) from oringsandmore.com for a whopping $4.20 shipping included.

Now here was the tricky part for me. I couldn't get any brass locknuts locally. The kind that have an o-ring groove in them. They, as well, don't exist in this part of the country (Not even the specialty plumbing shops in the area said they could get them for me, for whatever reason.), and I wasn't going to order two $.79 nuts and pay $6.00 shipping. So I made my own from compression nuts. Just took a hacksaw to them and deburred them. I threaded them onto a junk 3/8" fitting to make sure the threads were kosher, and bingo. Two locknuts. In restrospect, I might have sprung for the locknuts with the groove, because I experienced a drip that might not have happened had the grooves been in the nuts.

So with everything set to go, I pickled the brass as per John Palmer's instructions in How to Brew.

So, onto the construction.

Step 1: Cut hole in kettle.

I was a little concerned with drilling the hole with a spade bit, but the aluminum is so soft, it cut through like butter. I actually pushed the bit against the wall and it made a pilot hole. That's how soft the aluminum is. I deburred the hole using my chainsaw file. Worked a treat.

I made the hole too low in the kettle, and as a result, will have to cut a chunk out of the ring of the burner stand. Whoops.:eek:

Step 2: Wrap teflon tape around all the threads.

Step 3. Assemble the valve.

It should look like this. (Yes a pic would be nice, but I forgot to take one with the parts disassembled in the order they should go. Sorry.)

barb fitting>valve>nipple>locknut>oring>kettle wall>oring>locknut

Thread one locknut onto one side of the nipple and then an o-ring. Thread the nipple into the valve. The close nipple was a tight fit, and it threaded itself through the kettle wall.

Slip on another oring inside the kettle and the other locknut. Tighten just over hand tight and you should have a brand spankin' new valve on your kettle.:mug:

What I learned during the process:

1: Don't drill the hole too close to bottom of the kettle. The bottom of my hole just hit the top of the curve on the bottom. This caused a leak. (Or the lack of the oring grooves in the nuts, I'm not sure) If the hole was a little higher, it would have been completely flat. As I mentioned before, this also caused me to have to cut a notch out of my burner stand bacuse the kettle actually sits in the burner stand.

2. Because of the leak, I ended up having to use a little silicone caulk (Food grade) to seal the whole thing up. I let it cure overnight, and no leaks.:rockin::ban:

*edit* I meant to have the images inline with the text, but for some reason, it wasn't showing the links, so I just attached them to the bottom. Sorry.

dscn0735.resized.jpg

dscn0736.resized.jpg

DSCN0729.resized.JPG

equip.JPG

Excellent post, of course I may need a different bit for my ss kettle, but great info (as I am also from CT)

Thanks! And yes, the general consensus is a step bit for SS.

I'm surprised you were able to thread the compression nut "slices" on to 3/8" NPT. The threads are completely different and I'm supposing that a lot of your leak issue was due to liquid going between the nut and nipple, following the threads all the way out.

3/8" NPT is about 5/8" OD at 18 threads per inch. A 1/2" OD tube compression nut has 11/16 - 20 TPI threads.

All in, what did you spend on this?

I'm surprised you were able to thread the compression nut "slices" on to 3/8" NPT. The threads are completely different and I'm supposing that a lot of your leak issue was due to liquid going between the nut and nipple, following the threads all the way out.

3/8" NPT is about 5/8" OD at 18 threads per inch. A 1/2" OD tube compression nut has 11/16 - 20 TPI threads.

All in, what did you spend on this?

Ok, you obviously know WAY more about threads that I do.:D

I might be using the using the wrong terms, etc., but I DO know that the compression nut threaded onto the nipple perfectly before I cut it.

As for cost (I'm rounding),

Valve: 3.50
Barb: 1.75
Nipple: 1.50
Compression Nuts: 5.25
Orings: 4.25
Caulk:Borrowed from my father in law

So all in, $16 or so dollars.

I should mention...This kettle will be used exclusively for BIAB. That's why I didn't bother with a coupler on the inside. The only reason I did this was so I could drain some of the trub out to pour back through the bag for clarity.

uniweld 4300 woll solder brass to alluminum, and its good to temps of 500deg f. watch it on the teflon tape, it becomes toxic when burnt, (dont know about heated):mug:

baddad said:
uniweld 4300 woll solder brass to alluminum, and its good to temps of 500deg f. watch it on the teflon tape, it becomes toxic when burnt, (dont know about heated):mug:

That's good to know, but two things stopped me from making this a soldering thread. 1: I'm getting a new kettle soon and want to be able to remove this spigot and put it in a new kettle. And 2: I'm cheap as hell and wanted to do this for very little money.

I was lead to believe that brass coming in contact with hot wort was a serious no-no, something about lead leeching? Is this not a concern in this build for some reason?

Also a bit of concern, is that red handle plastic? Will it not heat up like wildfire being in contact with your kettle, and maybe deform at full heat?

Ok, you obviously know WAY more about threads that I do.:D

I might be using the using the wrong terms, etc., but I DO know that the compression nut threaded onto the nipple perfectly before I cut it.

As for cost (I'm rounding),

Valve: 3.50
Barb: 1.75
Nipple: 1.50
Compression Nuts: 5.25
Orings: 4.25
Caulk:Borrowed from my father in law

So all in, $16 or so dollars.

Ok, I think I know what nut you're talking about. This would be one for holding a sink supply line on to faucet which is normally 3/8" NPT. I guess that is is also called a compression nut though the way the line seals is more like a male flare. It's weird stuff.

I was lead to believe that brass coming in contact with hot wort was a serious no-no, something about lead leeching? Is this not a concern in this build for some reason?

John Palmer's How to Brew - Pages 310 and 311. Brass is just fine for brewing. It's the surface lead from the machining process that he's talking about. That's why he says to pickle all brass pieces first. Although he says the pickling isn't really necessary, most people like to do it for peace of mind. That's exactly why I did it.

Also a bit of concern, is that red handle plastic? Will it not heat up like wildfire being in contact with your kettle, and maybe deform at full heat?

Yes, the handle is plastic, but my burner has a heat shield for the incoming gas line and is the only spot on the frame the paint hasn't burned off. It gets hot, but not enough to torch the plastic. This is where I put the notch in the frame I was talking about.

*edit* Just reread you concern, and I haven't had a full boil going in it yet. Guess we'll just have to see. If worse comes to worse, I'll just have to go get a ball valve at Lowes.

Ok, I think I know what nut you're talking about. This would be one for holding a sink supply line on to faucet which is normally 3/8" NPT. I guess that is is also called a compression nut though the way the line seals is more like a male flare. It's weird stuff.

That's it exactly. I wish I still had the package so I could accurately identify it. But if someone doing this build just dry fits everything to make sure it all lines up, they should be fine.

baddad said:
aluminum * ugg

Hey I'd love a 55 gallon stainless steel kettle with an insulated jacket for the mash and an integrated jamil whirlpool chiller that also makes me breakfast every morning, but funds just aren't there for that project. ;)

Cacaman said:
Nice work! Did you consider installing a dip tube?

Do you need a dip tube if you're only doing BIAB?

Do you need a dip tube if you're only doing BIAB?

I just read where you put that you were just going to use this valve to drain some wort to pour it back in? If that's the case, then dip tube would not be needed. Nice job.

Back