How this for a Amarillo IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonmohno

Reaction score
2.5 gal batch:

5 # Organic breiss 2 row
.25# munich
.25# vienna
3 oz aromatic
3 oz buiscuit
2 0z crystal 120
3 oz crystal ? or 1-2 oz honey malt
2 oz carapils
2 oz amber malt

2 oz amarillo in boil: THink 4oz for 5 gal boil and 2 oz dryhop for 5 gal.
Amarillo- 9% AAU
.25 oz FWH
.5 oz 80 min
.5 oz 15 min
.5 oz 5 min
.25 oz 0 or 170 deg.
1 oz dryhop about a week
.5L yeast starter for harvested wlp001 yeast

A 2 and 1/2 gallon batch? Really dude? Just commit to making something, perhaps I'm just some alcoholic :rockin: but 2.5 gallons is almost not worth the time to brew for me. The ingredients look delicious though. Hope it turns out good, but if it does the problem is you'll want more than 2.5 gallons.

An 80 minute boil for 2.5 gallons makes little sense... as does the plan for 0.25 oz. FWH.

Try to simplify the grist. 4% each munich and vienna combined with miniscule amounts of 6 other specialty grains is a lot of complication, and will not be noticed individually in the final beer.

I would also recommend focusing more on perfecting your hop schedule. Bitter with a higher alpha, less-prized hop. For 1.070 OG, think 8-14 oz. total hops.

A 2 and 1/2 gallon batch? Really dude? Just commit to making something, perhaps I'm just some alcoholic :rockin: but 2.5 gallons is almost not worth the time to brew for me. The ingredients look delicious though. Hope it turns out good, but if it does the problem is you'll want more than 2.5 gallons.

Ha. I know. BBBB utt. I have me a good pipeline,likes the variety too as well as experimentation. I cant brew 5 gal very easily, I can if I try hard but that involves some extract and another pot and probably my bathtub because I have a double sink to chill which I do a double 4 gal boil max which gives me max 3 gallons generally for a full boil which I only have a 3 gal carboy,but was thinking of using my 6.5 gal bottleing bucket for a 5 gallon primary batch someday. Guess I could try boiling/mashing 3 pots on my stove sometime though.:drunk:

An 80 minute boil for 2.5 gallons makes little sense... as does the plan for 0.25 oz. FWH.

Try to simplify the grist. 4% each munich and vienna combined with miniscule amounts of 6 other specialty grains is a lot of complication, and will not be noticed individually in the final beer.

I would also recommend focusing more on perfecting your hop schedule. Bitter with a higher alpha, less-prized hop. For 1.070 OG, think 8-14 oz. total hops.

Dont get that? Whats wrong with utilizing some amarillo hops with a longer boil and getting some flavoring from fwh while being able to reduce the amount of hops I can use early in the boil. Im sticking with all amarillo, I want the full effect of this hop, I dont belive that every hop bitters exactly the same way as well. Im only doing this specifically for the full amarillo experimental effect. Just in this one time beer other wise I would bitter with something like warrior or something but its an all out amarillo assault on my ass for now. Although the amount Im using may not assault me much like hopbursting or whatnot, that and I understand Im not using an extreme 8-14 oz for a 1/2 batch:mug:

You are brewing 2.5 gallons of beer because your system is not large enough to handle 5 gallon batches. You mentioned that you could make it possible if utilizing 2 kettles and a bath tub, but that's besides the point.

For a 2.5 gallon batch, you would need to boil approx. 3.5 to 4 gallons from boil start at 60 minutes. Why increase your evaporation rate with an extended 80 minute boil when your current system is limited to brewing 2.5 gallon batches as it is? It doesn't make sense.

There is a lot of misconception surrounding FWH, what it does, the styles of beers it was intended for, and the myth that it adds more flavor than a simple bittering addition. Even so, you're using 1/4 oz. at this slot, so I don't know what flavor you're expecting to pull from that little amount.

If you want a single hop beer, that's fine. But the grist and the hop schedule/amounts still need work for a decent IPA. Anyway, that's my $0.02.

You are brewing 2.5 gallons of beer because your system is not large enough to handle 5 gallon batches. You mentioned that you could make it possible if utilizing 2 kettles and a bath tub, but that's besides the point.

For a 2.5 gallon batch, you would need to boil approx. 3.5 to 4 gallons from boil start at 60 minutes. Why increase your evaporation rate with an extended 80 minute boil when your current system is limited to brewing 2.5 gallon batches as it is? It doesn't make sense.

There is a lot of misconception surrounding FWH, what it does, the styles of beers it was intended for, and the myth that it adds more flavor than a simple bittering addition. Even so, you're using 1/4 oz. at this slot, so I don't know what flavor you're expecting to pull from that little amount.

If you want a single hop beer, that's fine. But the grist and the hop schedule/amounts still need work for a decent IPA. Anyway, that's my $0.02.

More bittering utilization,and I happen to think fwh makes the beers I made with better doing so,at least the few I did.For a 2.5 gal batch I dont think I really need to add like an oz of hops for FWH.
I agree with you about the grist, I just get caught up in some favorate malts that probably wouldnt all work out as planned really,I may keep it simple but Ive still had a few that have turned out really good doing so- probably mostly luck though. Thanks for your input-and I tend to like alot of your opinion on other posts and recipes Ive seen you post about- thanks again. Ill keep your suggestions in mind.

Back