How soon do i need to chill my keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkw1000

Reaction score
I am new to kegging and have two kegs in my outdoor frig with picnic taps. I want to brew another 5 gallon batch to build a backlog of beer. My refrigerator can't hold a third keg and I wanted to know how long I can keep it in the keg without refrigeration? I plan to force carbonate once it goes in the keg. I know when I bottled, that sat in my closet for 2 months to carbonate.

Thanks.

You can hold the keg outside the kegerator for pretty much as long as you need to, but recognize that hop characters will attenuate over time, and if there was significant oxidation during the production it'll have that much more time at warmer-than-serving temperature to do its destructive thing...

Cheers!

Is it wise to store the keg inside my house or is it safe to store it out the garage? Obviously the temperatures would be 10° or 20° higher in the garage than the house.

Pretty near every chemical reaction on the planet accelerates with temperature, so if you aren't looking for significant character changes, I recommend finding the coolest spot in the house and parking the keg there...

Cheers!

Back