How snug do carboy handles fit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kikshaaz

Reaction score
I have 6.5 and 5 gallon carboys and I have an orange and a red carboy handle. Neither seem to fit either size bottle well. My Carboys are from Mexico if that matters.

Are they supposed to be loose on 5 gallon carboy and only fit up high on the 6.5? I am just nervous as that is alot of weight to carry and I do not want to have 5 gallons of wort drop on me.

Well there are two different ones for 5 and 6 gal carboys. The smaller is orange and the larger is maroon I believe. Either way they don't fit super tight but if you ever have any doubts as to how well they are on there just try taking one off, it ain't easy.

The handle should not serve as a way to carry the vessel. Hold the bottom of the carboy with one hand and stabilize the top with the other hand using the handle. The neck of the carboy could break if you use the handle to carry the entire weight of a full carboy.

Well there are two different ones for 5 and 6 gal carboys. The smaller is orange and the larger is maroon I believe. Either way they don't fit super tight but if you ever have any doubts as to how well they are on there just try taking one off, it ain't easy.

The handle should not serve as a way to carry the vessel. Hold the bottom of the carboy with one hand and stabilize the top with the other hand using the handle. The neck of the carboy could break if you use the handle to carry the entire weight of a full carboy.

Ok that makes more sense. And yes I have an orange and a red one. Thanks for the info.

I have the orange ones, I used to use them to carry my 6 gal. carboys all the time back when I used carboys. They were really frickin' tight on my carboys, I can't imagine them ever coming off without the neck breaking.

I have the orange ones, I used to use them to carry my 6 gal. carboys all the time back when I used carboys. They were really frickin' tight on my carboys, I can't imagine them ever coming off without the neck breaking.

If you screw them on too tight, you risk breaking the neck. I'm pretty sure the instructions explicitly say to not over-tighten.

Latest posts

Back