How smooth should a Barley Crusher roll?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95747brewer

Reaction score
I just bought a barley crusher last night and when I got home I took the wrapping off and played with it a little. It rolls smooth for about 180 degrees, then stiffens up a little for the last half of the revolution. Is this normal? I know I could lube it up, but I'm a little concerned that it isnt running true and there may be a build flaw. I dont want to take it apart before finding out if it is normal or not because I might take it back and dont want any issues. Right now with the handle off I cant turn it by hand, handle on just a little resistance.

If it doesn't bid up too bad it may not be an issue. My first BC came with the handle jammed on and I couldn't get it off. Randy replaced it immediately and paid the shipping. If you have doubts, get it replaced.

I concur on their customer service. E-mail them with a description of the problem. They are wonderful to work with, some of the best customer service in the biz with their unconditional "if you're not happy we'll fix it" policy.

When I first got mine a few weeks ago, it had a little rubber ring on the first roller that drove the second.. that provided some awkward resistance, but once it fell off, everything was fine.

yeah, I'll test it most likely this weekend. I'm not too concerned about it being broken, I was just concerned that the roller was a little out of true. I'm sure after a break in period it will be fine, its just a somewhat large purchase and I wanted to make sure it wasnt going to give me troubles before its time.

Back