How should I use these hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonpecan

Reaction score
Howdy all,

I'm starting my first IPA soon, I think. It will be about my 6th brew, and 4th all-grain batch.

I've randomly accumulated some hops, and wanted to know if I can get away with using them all. If so, in what combination, and at what parts of the boil (or dry-hop) should I add the various hops? I am largely ignorant of the characteristics of specific hops, and definitely these.

Just looking to make a solid IPA with what I have! Here's what I got!

1 oz Simcoe (pellet)
1 oz Warrior (pellet)
Citra (leaves, shrink-wrapped... not sure the weight!)

I would like to use all of this, if it will come out good, plus any additional hops (whatever is recommended) to make it a nice hoppy IPA. Just a nice combo of bitter, flavor, and aroma, no need to make it a super-hopped beer. Any reason I shouldn't be combining what I have already, due to their characteristics?

Thanks for any input!

Without knowing the recipe, its hard to tell if you'll have enough bittering there. Also the %AA is important. That being said, im not familiar with warrior myself, and know citra is supposed to have great aroma, fruity, etc. I'd say that the simcoe and citra would go great together. You definitely need to know the bitterness they'll contribute or you may end up with either a way too bitter beer, or not bitter enough. It will still make beer though.

Of course I'm writing this from a different state, with the hops not in hand!

I'm pretty sure the Warrior and Simcoe are in the 12-14% range (both DEFINITELY above 10%). The Citra is 12.7% if I recall, definitely in the 12s. Hope that helps, and not too vague.

"It will still make beer though" - this is definitely one of my mantras, too.

Then three oz of that high AA hops could ba a few too many ibu's. If you're not worried about sticking to style, then go for it. Or maybe you could dry hop with one?

I've done a few slight variations on Yooper's DFH 90 Min IPA and I like to use .5oz warrior @ 60 min and load up the other hops late in the boil. Sicmoe goes really well with Amarillo, and though I haven't paired them up personally yet, I'm sure Citra would fit well in there too.

I'd probably do .5oz warrior at 60 then pick up 2oz of Amarillo and use the Simcoe/Amarillo/Citra all from 15 min to flameout. Maybe save 1oz of the Citra and/or Amarillo for dry hop. A quick recipe draw-up in qbrew with 1oz of each hop at 15, 10, and 5 mins (plus the .5 warrior @60) would put you at ~57 IBU.

I like to keep my grain bill pretty simple....last time I did 12lbs 2-row and 8oz biscuit malt. The last IPA I did this way didn't last long in the keg!

My favorite IPA recipe is in the recipe pull down under my avatar- it's the "DFH clone".

What I was thinking is that the warrior hops are great for bittering- you won't need much because they are high AAUs. The simcoe is great grapefruity/piney. I'm not wild about citra, as they are very tropical, but maybe take a look at my hopping for the DFH, and sub the citra for amarillo.

It would use warrior for bittering, and simcoe/citra for flavor and aroma and dryhopping.

EDIT- we posted at the same time! I did NOT just copy what he said (and said better than I did anyway). :cross:

Oh, a few more replies when I wasn't looking! Thanks y'all, its always great to get similar advice from multiple sources! I can't believe it has taken me this long to do an IPA - I think its one of those things I want to do really well, so I've been avoiding it. I'll post what I finally go with after buying up the ingredients.

Back