How should I modify my Danby fridge so it can be warmer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrotype

Reaction score
I bought a used Danby fridge to make a fermentation chamber. Currently, the warmer the fridge can be (when the wheel is set to "1") is approximately 57F. I'd like to be able to have a 65F temperature for my fermentations. How can I achieve this?

I saw that some persons use an aquarium temperature controller, that controls the temperature by turning the fridge on/off. But isn't it possible to achieve this target 65F without this?

I do not know a lot about electricity, but I heard maybe it's possible to tweak the fridge potentiometer so it allows warmer temperatures.. Is this true?

If i bend the golden part so it is not stopped by the silver part, do you think I would be able to turn the wheel more and therefore achieve a warmer temperature? Any other ideas?

qzQiprv.jpg

slSfhdz.jpg

RozeBTm.jpg

Thanks a lot for your help!

hm... not really sure.

I do know the STC1000 will work just fine. Either have it turn the fridge on and off, or just the compressor, bypassing the thermostat.

I think I've read that before, that you can bend that out of the way like you're saying. However, I wouldn't think you can go too much higher, because the expansion wire in the thermostat is calibrated to refridgeration temps.

Thanks BrewCrewKevin, I guess I'll buy a STC1000. Everybody seem to say it's easier and less risky!

That's what I use with my Danby and I couldn't be happier. The STC1000 turns on the fridge when it gets too warm and it turns on my brew belt when it gets too cold. Easy peasy. It's been a while since I built mine but I doubt I have more than $35 invested.

Back