How screwed am I?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WDT

Reaction score
I was hooking up my blow off tube to some freshly brewed wort and it sucked back maybe an ounce of unsanitized water in... It hasn't started fermenting yet. Is my IPA doomed?

Your probably fine, I've done much much much worse.

My last brew day was a complete disaster, my hose got frozen so I couldn't use my chiller, I had to set the kettle in the snow and slide it around to chill. Then while racking to the fermentor the hose flopped out the fermentor and my friend (being helpful) grabbed it off my dirty garage floor and placed it back in my nice wort. I pitched my yeast and then realized I didn't test my starsan spray bottle and found it was no longer any good (So nothing got sanitized). Finally after 2 days I realized in my mad state I forgot to take a post boil OG reading for my notes.

It's the last time I try the 'yea, let's brew today, screw it' approach to brewing.

It turned out fine, hit the same FG as the last time I brewed that beer, no infections, and tastes great. So don't worry about it. Maybe think about using starsan or vodka in your airlock in the future.

Your starter should out grow any nasties and take over as the dominant inoculation, should be just fine!

Your biggest worry will be long term storage should anything survive - so make sure to drink the beer quickly once it's done. :)

And +1 on using San star in your airlock or blowoff bucket

WDT said:
I was hooking up my blow off tube to some freshly brewed wort and it sucked back maybe an ounce of unsanitized water in... It hasn't started fermenting yet. Is my IPA doomed?

It's fine. Don't mess with it and just let it do its thing.

Latest posts

Back