How pervasive is Brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rinhaak

Reaction score
I brewed up a Petite Saison which finished fermenting yesterday. Before I threw it in the keg, I pulled aside one gallon and pitched some brett on top of it. I plan on letting it sit in this nasty 101° Boston summer heat for a few months.

I was super careful pitching it, even going so far as to boil the funnel for 15 minutes so I wouldn't spread brett to everything in the house. Which has led me to wonder the best way to dispense the beer once it's finished.

Ideally, I would like to put this beer on draft. But would this now make my keg and my entire draft line coated in brett bacteria? And if the answer is yes, would some sanitizer or even some boiling water clean it out?

Similar question regarding my auto siphon. Should I have an auto-siphon reserved solely for brett beers? As much as I love brett, I don't know that I want it in every beer I do.

you don't need to designate anything, star-san will kill brett. if you want ot take an extra step, give it an overnight steep in hot oxyclean/pbw first

Back