How often do you nail targets with AG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

403Brewer

Reaction score
I finished up my 8th AG brew today and I've hit the OG/FG on the last five +/- 0.002...is this considered good or pretty normal? I was paranoid that AG brewing was super hard but so far its been a pleasure, now I've been making pretty simple ales and wheat beers but just wondering if this is typical. Not trying to pump my own tires here, just curious, reading recipe threads it does seem if you follow the plan most people nail it pretty close.

I figured out after 3 brews that my efficiency is around 70% which considered normal, i have not even used a hydrometer since then, i don't really care 0.5-1% fluctuations in ABV anyways. I will start to use it again if i ever brew something above 1.080.

Once I got my system dialed in, I started hitting 78% efficiency on every batch. It takes good documentation, consistency of technique, and repeatable processes. The variable that seems hardest to control is the yeast activity--attenuation may vary a point or two from batch to batch on the same recipe, but FG always ends up "close enough." I'm brewing beer, not publishing a scientific experiment, so I'm pretty happy.

Nearly every batch. Last one I came up 0.004 short but that also was the largest grain bill to date and I didn't sparge like I normally do.

Nearly every batch. Last one I came up 0.004 short but that also was the largest grain bill to date and I didn't sparge like I normally do.

Same here. Once you dial in the system it is really not very hard to repeat the process.

Same here. Once you dial in the system it is really not very hard to repeat the process.

I've found the same thing. I get 75% efficiency on my system every single time, but last time I got 75.6%. Still, the OG was the same (10.5 gallon batches), so always get the OG I expect.

The only variances I get are when I do a decoction or a cereal mash, and then it's about 79%.

Yep...same here. +/- .002 with an eff of around 81%. The only time I get off numbers is when I do a bigger beer....above 7% abv.

69.4% effeciency, basically everytime. I've hit my OG (according to Beersmith) spot on every batch this year.

I am within +/- .002 on about 95% of my batches. My efficiency varies with the grain bill size (BIAB). But I have done enough varied batches to dial that in as well.

Takes probably 5 batches in the beginning to be able to dial into a +/- .002 with similar grain bill sizes.

I'm also usually within +/- .002. One thing I have noticed is that base grain type can affect your efficiency. For example: per weight, I get a couple more points of efficiency from Maris Otter than I do from American Two Row. Same weight, same crush settings, same water / grist ratio. Not sure exactly why that is, but I just account for it when constructing a recipe.

Thats interesting about the MO malt...one batch I had that was horribly off was an ESB with mostly Marris Otter, my efficiency was 5% higher than planned (planned 75, had 80) and the beer was a bit of a disaster haha.

You might only be talking about efficiency in your question, but if you're taking a preboil gravity reading, there's no reason not to hit your target OG on every batch. You can always correct mistakes preboil by adding DME/boiling longer, or removing wort and replacing with water.

If you're just talking about the ability of an AG brewer to predict their efficiency, then you'll find most people can get pretty close for average strength beers. My efficiency can vary from 65-78% depending on the target OG/size of the grain bill, but I've gotten pretty good at estimating this number.

I've hit the OG/FG on the last five +/- 0.002...is this considered good or pretty normal?

+/- 0.002 is both good and normal, sounds like you've got your process pretty well dialed-in. Congrats.

I'm usually within that range, but I have had a few brews that were as much as +/- .006 off, due to mashing errors.

It took me about 3 brews to get my system down and now i hit my numbers a good 98% of the time. Also i agree with writing down every possible step too.
The only thing that gets me is if i brew the same recipe again, it dont quite taste as good as the first, beats me.

I'd say that's about the same variance I get with an extreme being ~.006 on a bad day. (Luckily not too many bad days... :p )

Example:
Target = 1.050
Actual = 1.048 - 1.052

This is about where I am. I can look at the size of a grain bill, know about the efficiency I'll get, and am usually within 2-3 points in either direction. Which for me is close enough.

It's amazing but I, too, have dialed in my process with my equipment very quickly and my last 3-4 AG brews have been spot on.

Last weekend I was shooting for 1.050 on a Cali Common and it came in at 1.049... I love it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've been hitting ~80% since I started mashing overnight. I use Brewtarget software.

Back