How much yeast is still floating in a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
Let's say I have a keg of beer that has been carbed and sitting for two months. Then I pull like two pints of beer out. Would there still be any yeast in this beer? Or at this stage it would be all out?

The reason why I'm asking is that I made a 1.100OG imperial Stout that I kegged and carbed. Even pulled some beer/yeast out to taste. However, now I want to steep some more roasted and crystal malts that I will boil down and throw into the beer/keg. I would need some yeast to each some of the simple sugars. But would there be enough yeast in there? Or it doesn't matter because there wouldn't be too many simple sugars from the roasted and crystal malts anyway?

There is still yeast in there, if its still viable enough to ferment is another question. With the high alcohol content of an imperial stout probably only for a very sluggish fermentation. So take care when topping up that keg, it will probably ferment parts of the added sugars and create some co2.

Back