How much yeast in a 50mL cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApothecaryBrewing

Reaction score
So I harvested some Conan last week and after stepping up the starter (too fast) I am left with a solid 50mL cake in my fridge.

I was just looking for some one to help me figure out my approximate cell count and what size step I should use next. Seems to me I have more than comes in a White Labs vial but I'm a little lost... HELP!

Yeah but I wouldn't be asking on the forums if it had what I was looking for. I have read through mr.malty and yeast calc and googled it all. What I could find says there is roughly 1 million cells per cm^3 aka mL.

Going by that though then after doing a step up from 250mL to 700mL to 1.6L starters, I only have roughly 50 million cells and the 60mL White Labs vials could hold no more than 60 million cells and that sounds just stupid.

So I am asking if anyone out there has a rough approximation of cells per mL so I know if I need to do another starter or if this is good to save. To reiterate, it is not 50mL of a slurry. It is a 50mL cake that dropped out in a pint size ball jar once chilled in my fridge. It is a little white, a little grey. There is no trub because it was harvested from a can, there might be like a dusting of hop particles from the beer but I doubt it.

So aside from pointing me to resources I have already read multiple times, does anyone have any useful information?

I harvested yeast from a single bottle and it took a few starters to get it where it even looked alive. I'm happy to say it's pitched in a 3.5 gal OG 1.084 IPA wort and chewing away.

How thick is the yeast cake in the jar? By the way I've yet to use any of the yeast calc tools.

Latest posts

Back