How much yeast for small batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beecher

Reaction score
I am planning on doing a small batch (2 gallons / around 8 litres) Session IPA , so shall I use a whole yeast package or should I scale it just like I scale the hops/grains etc? Shall I do a yeast starter and if yes how much?

If you're using a dry yeast a starter isn't really nesessary because the dry yeast already has a yeast nutritant in it. For a two gallon batch I'd use half of a 11.5 gram packet of dry yeast. I'm not to familiar with liquid yeast, so I can't offer any advice on that. I use US-05 exclusively, & I pitch half of a packet on my one gallon batches, as well as when I brew two gallon batches. I've never had any problems with that.

I brew three gallon batches and usually just toss in the whole pack. For some English styles I use a 6 gram pack of Munton's.

11.5 gram is good for 20 to 30 liters
For my 10literers I started using 6grams , half a pack.

Ive used yeast that been open for about a month wth no issue. Just use a clean pair of scissors. When done, push out any air, fold the pack close a few times and seal it in a small bag wth the air sucked out. Store in the fridge.

I realize this is an old post but I'm curious.
I just brewed a 2 gal batch and the og is 1.080. I didn mean for it to be and I calculated it would come out to 1.068 (5lbs of fermentables/2 gal). I pitched 6g of us05. Is that enough or did I underpitch?

I just brewed a 2 gal batch and the og is 1.080. I didn mean for it to be and I calculated it would come out to 1.068 (5lbs of fermentables/2 gal). I pitched 6g of us05. Is that enough or did I underpitch?[/QUOTE]

Yes. The fermentation may take a little longer to start as the yeast build up their population but it should ferment out just fine.

if it's US-05 I just threw an entire pack in for my 2.5g batches, result always turned out fine. Though 1/2 the pack should be good too, I just don't like keeping already opened packs of yeast, I'm weird like that lol.

I just brewed a 2 gal batch and the og is 1.080. I didn mean for it to be and I calculated it would come out to 1.068 (5lbs of fermentables/2 gal). I pitched 6g of us05. Is that enough or did I underpitch?

I don't think that's an underpitch, half a pack for 2 gallons is fine. 11.5g is the standard for a 5g

Thanks! I put the rest of the pack in a very small Tupperware container and refrigerated until I need it.

Back