How much yeast can i harvest.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtybasementbrew

Reaction score
Have been trying to build a yeast supply. I have been doing this only because it easy and doesn't take a lot of time (just trying to do something brew related when in not brewing). When this batch drops and I'll post a pick. Is this counter productive and does it even make sense?

Still has not dropped but this is a 6 oz jar

image-1869063628.jpg

There's nothing wrong with it and it does make sense, liquid yeast can be expensive, dry yeast, not so much

Are you growing the yeast in aerated wort (like a starter)? Are you harvesting from your fermentor? I can't tell from your post what you are doing, really. As long as you are propagating your yeast in malt sugar with adequate oxygen, you should be ok. Low gravity is best, 1.030 or so.

Edit: I see now, I didn't see your pic before.

boydster said:
Are you growing the yeast in aerated wort (like a starter)? Are you harvesting from your fermentor? I can't tell from your post what you are doing, really. As long as you are propagating your yeast in malt sugar with adequate oxygen, you should be ok. Low gravity is best, 1.030 or so. Edit: I see now, I didn't see your pic before.
I have been splitting and doing starters @ 1.04. I had asked earlier in a thread and the senses was make 3 starters and pitch 2 save one to make more starters. Now how do I know what amount to pitch?

dirtybasementbrew said:
I have been splitting and doing starters @ 1.04. I had asked earlier in a thread and the senses was make 3 starters and pitch 2 save one to make more starters. Now how do I know what amount to pitch?

You go to Wee.mrmalty.com and select slurry.

FWIW, you can make your starters 500ml larger than you need and harvest that each time you make a starter and always know that you are starting with a fresh 500ml slurry:)

Some guys keep a bunch of yeast strains in long term storage. They have to step them up several times to get a full pitch. Others just save some yeast from one batch to pitch in the next. If you are in the second group then you should just replace spent wort with fresh every so often. Try not to play with it to much, that's how the bugs get in and make it go Belgian.

Back