How much washed yeast do I pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terek

"Did I just drop down a rabbit hole?"
Reaction score
So I washed some yeast couple days ago for the first time. I am very happy with the results. I have them in a small jar that has oz marked on the side and I got a little over 2 oz in there. My question is, is that enough to make 2 starters for 2 batches (1 oz each)? Or should I use it all on one. I would hate to over pitch, but I would also hate to use too much when I could save even more money using it on 2 batches.

This link takes you to a page that just wants you to buy an app for the calculator for $5! I'm one who will not pay for apps if I don't have too. I did a bunch of googling and came up with an idea.

A web page says that thick yeast contains 4.5 billion cells per ml. So for 200 billion cells, you need 44 ml., or 1.48 oz of settled yeast. So I figure that I can use 1 oz of my yeast (135 mil cells) and do a good starter on my stir plate and should be fine, and have another oz to use for another batch.

Sound right?

Back