How much trub do you get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phug

Reaction score
I'm trying to get an idea of how much trub is normal, and I realize that it ranges.

Can some folks tell me what they're brewing style is, and tell me how much trub is left behind at the end of fermentation? I'm looking for volumetric calculations of trub relative to fermenter volume.

For instance. I brew 11.3 litre (3 gallon) batches, BIAB, and just throw everything into the fermenter trub and all. at the end I have a litre of trub in the bottom of the fermenter.

I have a fair amount of cold break material that makes it into my fermenter, I'd say .5 to .75 gal for a 5 gal batch. I make mostly ales with a lager every once in a while.

I run it through a filter while transfering from the kettle but the stuff still makes it through. The filter is mostly for the hops.

I do mostly 10 liter BIAB and plan on leaving 1 liter in the kettle with trub and hop material. I do run the wort going into the carboy through a coarse screen just in case I mess up. Typically, I end up with about 1 liter of wort on the bottom of the carboy after fermentation, but it varies quite a bit depending upon how much I dry hop. For most non-dry hopped recipes, my trub is closer to around 0.8 liters.

I do mostly 10 liter BIAB and plan on leaving 1 liter in the kettle with trub and hop material. I do run the wort going into the carboy through a coarse screen just in case I mess up. Typically, I end up with about 1 liter of wort on the bottom of the carboy after fermentation, but it varies quite a bit depending upon how much I dry hop. For most non-dry hopped recipes, my trub is closer to around 0.8 liters.

this I find interesting. what kind of bag are you using?

this I find interesting. what kind of bag are you using?

I'm using a paint filter bag (not the HD/Lowes, but a pro bag). Double layer with a very fine outer mesh and coarser inner mesh. Outside is about a 125 mesh.

I do grind sort of fine and have a fair amount of flour. Leaving the 1 liter back in the kettle helped greatly in cutting down the trub and also in harvesting clean yeast from the carboy.

For non hoppy beers, around ..25 - .5 gal and for a hoppy IPA maybe .75

5.5 gallon batches. All grain. I usually whirlpool after chilling to keep as much hops and break out as possible but especially with break material a lot still gets in the fermenter.

size batch? anything left behind in the kettle? BIAB, traditional mash?

I brew to a post boil target of 26 L. Depending on the amount of hops I loose 2-4 L to trub and try to get 22 L final wort into the fermenter. Not too fastidious about keeping trub out though.

anyone with extract batch trub information?

Back when I doing 5 gallon extract recipes I'd tune everything for 5.5 gallons to the fermentor and dumped everything in but the hops. There'd invariably be an inch and a half of trub and yeast sitting on the bottom of my 6.5g carboys after a solid cold-crash, and a full five gallons of clear beer in the keg.

I've never been concerned with break material in the fermentor...

Cheers!

I do mostly 5gal all grain 5%ABVish batches in a cooler mash tun. I use whirfloc toward the end of the boil and a IC to cool the wort post boil. Once chilled I dump the wort in a bucket to separate and only only transfer the clear wort to the fermentor. It takes about an hour for the trub to get down below 1gal. I have let that 1gal of trub to settle further overnight before and it usually settles at about 1/2gal.

Post ferment I have about 6 to 8oz of yeast slurry.

I have a fair amount of cold break material that makes it into my fermenter, I'd say .5 to .75 gal for a 5 gal batch. I make mostly ales with a lager every once in a while.

I run it through a filter while transfering from the kettle but the stuff still makes it through. The filter is mostly for the hops.

was this allgrain? biab? 3 vessel?

I brew to a post boil target of 26 L. Depending on the amount of hops I loose 2-4 L to trub and try to get 22 L final wort into the fermenter. Not too fastidious about keeping trub out though.
How much trub do you have in the fermenter post fermentation? all grain?

here's what I have so far

post fermentation trub.jpg

I do 10gal AG batches, and cool while whirlpooling, giving me a lot of cold break material in the BK. I use a big stainless hop spider, so I never have and hop debris to worry about. With that said, some of the break material ends up in the fermenters, but not much. I fill each carboy to 5.25gal. This allows me to fill my kegs with 5 gal each time. If a beer has had a decent dryhop, I tend to loose around 1/4 gal per fermenter.

I do 5.5 gallon all grain batches, mash in a cooler with a copper manifold, and dump everything from kettle into the fermenter. It varies with batch but I almost always get right around half a gallon of trub in the fermenter.

I do 5.5 gallon all grain batches, mash in a cooler with a copper manifold, and dump everything from kettle into the fermenter. It varies with batch but I almost always get right around half a gallon of trub in the fermenter.

Same here with between 1/3 - 1/2 gallon of trub. And I full my kegs to the brim and have a thin layer of beer over the gelatinous trub. Gelatin is awesome.

I usually do 5.5 gallons into the fermentor. I pour the cooled wort through a very coarse strainer (I've only used pellets once), I don't use Irish Moss, although cheap I always forget. 4 week primary, then bottle. I usually end up with .5-.75 gal of trub. Sucking up trub and yeast from the primary to the bottling bucket doesn't hurt as long as your willing to wait an extra week or two by the way, don't fear the trub, fear impatience!! (imho). Cheers brew on.

Short version: I brew 5.5 gallons with 0 trub precautions, and get .5 - .75 gal of trub.

Edit: all grain, batch sparge in cooler with homemade manifold.

Last edited:
thanks everyone,

I'd love to get more extract answers. I'm trying to get a feel for how much trub might be yeast versus flocced proteins and other bits.

right now i'm seeing "averages" of
Everything into the fermenter at .1l trub/fermented litre (lt/fl)
Clear wort only .5 lt/fl
extract .9 lt/fl

but the sample size is very small. with more data I might be able to break it out by BIAB vs batch vs traditional 3 vessel w vorlauf.

trub.jpg

I brew 3 gal batches but leave .5 gal trub and wort behind in the kettle while transferring to my fermenter so I target 3.5 gal total for batch size. After whirlpool and settling that 3 gal of wort i transfer is nice and clear. Not much trub makes it into the fermenter. After fermentation is complete I usually have about 16 oz of pretty clean yeast slurry on the bottom for harvesting.

When I use to target 3 gal total, most of the trub went into the fermenter and I usually ended up with twice as much in the bottom of my fermenter which wasn't as clean looking.

I'll take the half gal loss in exchange for a cleaner yeast cake for future use. I use a little more grain as well but with a small batch it's really not a cost issue.

Back