How much to dry hop saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WI_Wino

Reaction score
I brewed up a 7 gallon batch of JZ's saison and plan on splitting out some to 1 gallon jugs. My plan is to dry hop one with sorachi ace and another with amarillo. Probably bottle the rest as is. How much hops would do you think I should dry hop with? Leaning torwards 1/2 oz per gallon.

that sounds good to me. What yeast did you use? Certain saison strains would probably lend themselves more to certain hops. WY3711, for instance, is spicier and pairs very well with Sorachi Ace IMO. The funkiness of the Dupont strain might not work as well with the bit of Floral character in Amarillo

That sounds pretty tasty. Im surprised you needed to ramp it to hit 72. Mine going right now was at 76F the next day from free rising and I ramped it to 90F today. Hoping to get it bone dry

Our basement is still at a cool 60F in southern WI. I split the batch into 2 6 gallon carboys to ferment, each has a brew belt controlled by STC1000 (moving blankets as insulation). I pitched at 66F then set temp controllers to 70F. Ramped up to 71F on day 2, 72F today. Will go to 74F on Saturday and probably leave it there.

FYI, you dont need to do such small increments. I just crank up mine maybe 5-8 degrees per day and the beer itself gradually warms as it goes. The yeast dont get shocked like they do if you suddenly have a drop in temperature. I'm not saying you should jump from pitching temp to the 90s in an afternoon, but I've never got off flavors from going up in temperature quickly

I've done Sorachi with the 3711, and I plan on doing it again tomorrow, though I am tempted to try Mosaic instead.

I'm doing my second saison with sorachi but adding lemon drop too.

Sorachi pairs great with the pepperyness of saison yeasts. Its definitely unique lots of lemon and herbal dill character

I ended up doing a 1/2 oz amarillo in 1 gallon and 1/2 oz of sorachi ace in another gallon, bottled the remaining 5 gallons w/ no dry hop. The sorachi ace batch has distinct lemon and dill flavor, not as much in the aroma though. The batch with amarillo had a touch of mango, I think it could have used a little more in the dry hop. All very tasty and I'll probably do this again.

Back