How much to add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

munchen

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I've seen this brought up, but haven't been able to find any specifics. If there is a thread that covers it directly that I missed, please share the link....

I've got a Christmas Ale going that I wanted to add Jack D. to for a hint of flavor and warm alcohol. Without the J.D., the brew should end up around 8 to 8.5% ABV. Yeast is Nottingham.

The Questions:

1. How much J.D. can/should I add to a 6 gallon batch to make a subtle, but notable (not overpowering) addition to the flavor profile.

2. I am kegging part of the batch and bottling / Aging part. I am concerned that I will inhibit fermentation when bottle conditioning/ carbonating w/ priming sugar. Does that affect the answer to #1.

Thanks!

Please post your recipe -- it is hard to tell what impact on flavor the JD will have without knowing your overall profile.

I'm thinking that it will inhibit fermentation. You already have a pretty healthy ABV. Your priming sugar will get the yeast going again, and thus add a tiny bit more alcohol. It is going to take quite a while to carbonate.

You might consider adding some champage yeast when you prime, as that will tolerate the alcohol better.

I've used bourbon in beers before as well, but I would suggest for future reference adding it to the boil. This way, you boil off the alcohol, but retain the flavor.

Thanks. Guess it would have been smarter to add it tot ht boil. Apparently I wasn't thinking straight that day.

Perhaps I won't add any J.D. to the bottles, but plan to keg 1/2 the batch so maybe I can experiment on that side. Open to suggestions on a test ammount to add to 3 gal.

Here's the rough recipe (from memory). It's partial mash:

Mashing grains:

1 lb Special B
1 lb Pale Choc.

----
3 lb Dark DME
4 lb Amb. DME (might be 5 lb, need to find my notes)
1 cup Dk Brown Sugar
1 lb belgian candy sugar (incremental feeding)

1 TBS Valencia Orange Peel
2 tsp Cinnamon
2 whole cloves
2 oz fresh grated ginger
1 tsp allspice.

1 oz spalt - 60 min
1 oz cascade - 45 min
1.5 oz Liberty - 20 min
Nottingham ale yeast.

Just guessing here, but I would start with maybe a half a bottle. Your idea of only doing it in the keg is good. You can artificially carbonate that, so you don't have to worry about inhibiting the yeast. Also, you can do a side by side comparison.

Latest posts

Back