How much sugar to prime?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeyMcBong

Reaction score
Hey,

I got a couple of these https://homebrewsupplies.ca/product/1408-rainbow-cola-extract/ bottles of syrup. I was gonna sweeten with artificial sweetener and naturally carbonate (with sugar) in plastic pop bottles.

Question is, for 4 gallons of pop, how much priming sugar should I batch prime with? Or how many volumes of co2 am I aiming for?

Oh, and should I used a full packet of EC 1118 for the 4 gallons or is that overkill/not enough?

Thanks in advance :mug:

I don't bottle soda anymore, but back when I did I just used regular sugar and then put the bottles in the fridge when they were rock hard (plastic bottles).

If my memory serves me, soda is something like 4 volumes of c02 or thereabouts. That would be about 1.5 ounces of priming sugar per gallon if you're planning on keeping it at room temperature until consumed.

I never did 4 gallons at a time, but I used about 1/4 teaspoon for two liters and that was more than sufficient. You can probably use a teaspoon or so, give or take, and not have a yeasty taste.

Thanks.

I read the other post but didn't find it helpful, I know about the calculators but didn't know what vol of co2 I was looking for. I've read anywhere between 3.5-5 vols for soda pop. I'll give it a go at 4 volumes.

Back