How much should I sell two Draft Brewer Cornies for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorne17

Reaction score
Hello,

I’ve had to get slim torpedo kegs to fit in my new Kegerator. So I’m needing to sell my current cornies. I have two draft brewer single handle 5 gallon corny kegs. I bought them plus the dual regulator for $320 in March 2015.

I’m selling just the cornies. What should my asking price be?

Also what should i sell a CO2 5lb tank for?

IMG_0159.jpg

Thanks!
Lorne

Hi Lorne. My rule when buying or selling used is that half or less than half the new price is a good start point. When selling I check craigslist and ebay, especially ebay "sold" listings. Then I go toward the low end. I don't know where that puts you locally. The big online HBS occasionally have sales of used soda kegs for $40@, iirc. Those are more beat than yours of course, but when I shop craigslist, I am looking for lower prices than that. I am not trying to talk you down, as I have enough kegs. I hope this helps, and I hope you get a good price.
-John

A new 5# aluminum c02 tank is about $50, so you may get $35 or so if it's in good shape.

For used ball lock cornies in great shape, you may get $70 or so since they're not as beat up as some.

Go sift through the For Sale forum. Used cornies usually go for around $50. Shipping tends to be prohibitive. You can buy a brand new keg from AIH for $80 with free shipping, and theirs has a rubber top (would be attractive for some vs. yours with only the metal handle). Keep in mind that most homebrewers tend to be on the frugal side. I could give a poop if there are old sticker marks, etc. on the sides of my kegs, just as long as there are no huge dents and they hold pressure I'd rather pay less. However, I want rubber tops because I store them vertically and I can't stack with yours.

Figure about $40 for the CO2 tank. My gas filling place will sell me a freshly re-certed 5# tank for $70 that's full. Take a pic of the hydro date on the top for the potential buyer. It's worth more if the date is good. My gas filling place charges about $40 to re-cert a tank, I think. Exchanges place won't take (or are not supposed to take) tanks with old dates. I think they're good for 5 years on aluminum tanks.

Back