how much rice hulls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefjp

Reaction score
Hello, im brewing a hefeweizen, Im planning on adding rice hulls so I can sparge faster. What % is recomended? Do I add it at the begining of the mash?

Thanks

Add it right at the beginning of the mash and it depends how your system works. Me I throw about 3 big handfuls in whenever I brew with adjuncts

To piggy back on this, do rice hulls soak up as much wort as regular barley? I've never used them but my bro in law is coming into town and I'm gonna brew a hefe for him.

By weight you're looking at 2-4 oz for a couple of big handfuls. That's enough to help set the grain bed nicely when using lots of sticky stuff.

I assume beersmith will properly account for water absorption off rice hulls? I also heard many people pre soak them

Just like the others above, just thow in some handfuls. Normally, I use three big handfuls but the other day I needed six because I used a ton if wheat and things got gummy.

Also, don't sparge fast. You said that was your reason to use them. Use them to avoid the stuck sparge but still try to sparge slowly or your not going to get a good extraction.

I use one pound in a 10 gallon batch. But never used them for hefes, even when I was at 50% of the grain bill. I only use them for rye beers as rye is more glutonous than wheat.

Back