How much pumpkin pie spice in pumpkin stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly2378

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a pumpkin stout this weekend and aging it until October. First time I've done one and curious as to how much spice to add. Too much seems like it could be overpowering, but I want enough to be noticeable with the strong stout flavors. 1 tsp? 1 Tbsp? Somewhere in between?

I just did a pumpkin stout a few weeks ago. I can't speak for how much spice is still around, but when I tried the cooled wort it was there, but not extremely strong. I used a mixture of spices to make up a total of ~1.25 tsp of pumpkin pie spice.

My recipe:
10lb - Maris Otter (44.9%)
1lb - Flaked Barley (4.5%)
1lb - Roasted Barley (4.5%)
.5lb - Crystal 40L (2.2%)
.5lb - Chocolate Malt (2.2%)
.5lb - Rice Hauls (2.2%)
8lb 12oz - Roasted Pumpkin Puree (39.3%) (Worst experience ever)

1oz - Northern Brewer - 60 min
1oz - Fuggle - 10 min
1/2 tsp - Cinnamon, 1/4 tsp - Ginger, 1/4 tsp - Sweet Orange Peel, 1/8 tsp - Nutmeg, 1/8 tsp Allspice - 5 min

London Ale White Labs #WLP013

I'm about to move it to a secondary with French Oak spirals that have been sitting with bourbon and 2 vanilla beans.

---------------------------------------

It really becomes a question about how much pumpkin spice flavor you really want though. A Tbs might be a lot, but as I said earlier, the 1.25 tsp was subtle and didn't overpower the beer. I'm going to try it this weekend when I move it to secondary and add more spice if it needs it.

yeah 1-2tsp seems optimal.m Probably closer to 2 with a beer like a stout. Im doing my 2nd pumpkin ale soon and I was planning on 1tsp at flameout, and probably another 0.5-1.0 tsp in the fermentor along with cinnamon or nutmeg to round it out more. Didnt feel like making my own spice blend

Back