How much priming sugar should I add to a 1.5 gallon bottling bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superstorm

Reaction score
Unfortunately the only bottling bucket that I have on hand is 1.5 gallons so I was wondering how much priming sugar should be added to a bucket that size and then the beer will be racked on top of it of course. How much sugar and how much water would you use to boil the sugar in a bottling bucket that size? I’m also
IMG_3050.JPG
asking because of how much sediment is in the carboy, which is from all of the pumpkin that was added to this pumpkin ale.

Thanks guys! I went with about 1.1 oz of sugar in a little over 3 oz’s of water.

One thing I want to add is that I just tried a sample that didn’t make it through the spigot of the bottling bucket and it definitely tasted sweeter and better than the first sample when I first finished racking it to the bottling bucket. I racked the beer on top of the priming sugar that was already added to the bottling bucket as you’re supposed to do. Is it possible that the priming sugar didn’t mix into all of the beer or was it just sweeter because the sugar was the most concentrated at the bottom of the bucket? I didn’t want to stir it and risk adding unwanted oxygen, that’s why I made sure the siphon tube was right against the side of the bottling bucket when I was racking.

Back