How Much Priming Sugar after Cold Crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT_Keg

Reaction score
Hey all,

I cold crashed my beer at around 38 deg. F for 4 days (It fermented at around 67) and now I am ready to bottle. When calculating how much priming sugar I need what temperature do I use for the calculation (I am trying to achieve 2.5 volumes)?

Thanks for your help!

MT

Temperature of the beer affects how much CO2 will remain in solution after fermentation is complete and CO2 is no longer being produced. Use the fermentation temperature if bottling immediately after fermentation is complete.
Use the temperature your beer rests/ages at after fermentation is complete if this period of time is more than a few days. During this time period CO2 in solution will be released. More CO2 will be released if the rest temperature is 72° than will be released at a temperature of 60°.
Cold crashing will temporarily halt the release of the CO2 that was in solution before the crash, but CO2 will not be increased since fermentation and CO2 production has ended.
For carbonation calculations use the rest temperature before the cold crash if the beer will not be warmed for a few days before bottling. If the beer is allowed to warm for a few days, after the cold crash, use the current temperature at bottling time.

After reading up on this I decided that I needed to calculate the needed amount of priming sugar using the temperature that the beer is at before bottling. I cold crashed my beer at 37 degrees for a week and bottled at that temp. The picture was taken after 3 days in bottles.
IMG_2580.jpg

Back