How much oak and for how long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cam5fc

Reaction score
My next brew session is going to be an oaked IPA.

For a 5 gal batch, how much oak chips should I use (I was going to soak them n vodka or bourbon - still deciding)? Also, how long should I keep them in the secondary fermentation?

I want enough oak presence to taste, but not over power the hops.

im curious on this as well. not for an ipa but basically how much and how long. I want to do it with a ris or the like

There's really no way to answer the question. What are the stats on your beer, what is a little oak to you vs to me, is there a commercial example you are emulating, etc.

As a general answer - how about 4 oz soaked in vodka added to secondary for a week.

When I brewed a 5gal batch of a slightly modified "None More Black" milk stout, I used about 1.5oz of oak chips, and could definitely note the flavour. I might up it to 2oz, but not more than that. Oak chips go a long way, and 4oz is quite a lot.

I soaked my oak chips in bourbon for 7 days (for the stout); for an IPA I'd use bourbon again or, preferably, Rye.

I brewed NB's Bourbon Barrel Porter over the summer and tapped it about a month ago. It used 2 oz of medium-plus toast cubes and after doing a ton of research on it, I ended up soaking the cubes in a cheaper bourbon for a month and then dumping that bourbon (it smelled awful) and adding fresh makers and letting it soak for another 6 weeks. When I kegged the batch I poured the bourbon and cubes into the keg. The cubes stayed in for about 6 weeks and then the keg sat for a month or 2. I'd say the oak flavor is medium-strong, but not even close to overpowering. It was a nice warm vanilla note to it.

From my research, if you want a simple, quick, less complex oak note, use chips for 1-3 weeks. If you want a more complex, "deeper" oak note, with the vanilla, etc, use cubes for 1-12 months.

Chips have much more surface area, and an even char, and thus, they give off their flavor much quicker. The even char is the reason they are less complex. Cubes have varying char and much less surface area, but more wood overall, leading to the ability to leave them in longer. My takeaway was for a big stout or something similar that you are going to age, use a smaller amount of cubes for a longer amount of time.

Chips are good for IPAs that aren't going to age, but you want to impart an oak note quickly. I've never used chips, but I'd say 1-2 oz of medium to medium-plus toast for a week. Taste and then decide whether to do another week. If you don't want to add vodka or bourbon, you can also boil the chips. That will strip some of the oakyness from them also, which may or may not be a good thing.

First, different oak variations will behave a little differently. I think American oak tends to be a little stronger. I've used French oak cubes as well, but I prefer the American oak.

Second, different shapes will behave differently. Cubes, spirals, and chips have different surface area and will impart flavors differently. I like cubes because they are a little more uniform from batch to batch. They cost a little more.

Overall, I prefer medium-toasted American oak cubes. I've done several oaked RISs. 2oz, soaked in bourbon for ~3 weeks, and soaked in an RIS for an additional 3 weeks was a bit too oaky for me. It did mellow out over time.

For an IPA, I'd probably start with 1.5-2.0 oz for 2 weeks, and taste it occasionally. You can always let it sit or add more if needed, but you can't make the oakiness go away once it's there.

I used 25g of medium french oak chips in a porter, left them on for 2 weeks, left a small hint. Next batch upped to 35g and left for an additional week and the flavour is there and balanced with the rest of the beer. Its all relative to your taste. Id be very careful with dipping and checking your beer for the developing flavour, its a good way to introduce something unwanted (been there done that). Ive also found the oak develops over time, definitely for the better

Ihave a 2oz bag of heavy toast oak chips leftover...am going to split the 3gals of IPA I just brewed(sitting in primary) and try putting a gallon on oak in a separate 2ndary. Figured I don't want to ruin the batch going too heavy, so will do just a half ounce for 5 days. Will probably soak in bourbon

Wow! Lots of good thoughts to consider! Thanks for all the contributions.

Hey, getting ready to transfer an IPA to secondary for additional hopping. Want to add American Oak Cubes purchased from Northern Brewer in the secondary. Don’t want whiskey flavor, or other spirit. Do they need to be sterilized? They come sealed. Can I just put in secondary and rack on top?

Hey, getting ready to transfer an IPA to secondary for additional hopping. Want to add American Oak Cubes purchased from Northern Brewer in the secondary. Don’t want whiskey flavor, or other spirit. Do they need to be sterilized? They come sealed. Can I just put in secondary and rack on top?

I believe they are ready to go as is. I used same on a cognac ale . Think it was 4 oz or so . 4 or 5 days and it was strong barrel flavor

Latest posts

Back