how much more yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomas77

Reaction score
I made a starter for an IPA and it just looks like not much yeast actually increased so was wondering if i'm just too nervous that it didn't actually ferment out at all. I cooled wort to 70 degrees then aerated the crap out of it then pitched the yeast and let it go. I use foam for a lid on a gallon or so glass jug. I didn't really see any activity but maybe it happened overnight. When I look at the jug it just really looks like the amount of yeast that was in the package to begin with. Any thoughts?

tomas77 said:
I made a starter for an IPA and it just looks like not much yeast actually increased so was wondering if i'm just too nervous that it didn't actually ferment out at all. I cooled wort to 70 degrees then aerated the crap out of it then pitched the yeast and let it go. I use foam for a lid on a gallon or so glass jug. I didn't really see any activity but maybe it happened overnight. When I look at the jug it just really looks like the amount of yeast that was in the package to begin with. Any thoughts?

Well there's a couple factors here....

You could have just missed the action. Yeast doesn't take long to chew through a starter so it could be finished. Or the yeast could have also been dead so it didn't ferment at all. I'd get a 2L bottle and step up your starter. Screw the cap on so you can tell from opening it(the hiss) whether or not there's any CO2 that's built up. If it hisses your good to go. If it doesn't there a good chance your yeast was dead and you need a new pack.

Ok I can try that. Thanks. I thought yeast especially a fresh package would definately wake up and get going once all the swirling action happens to aerate it. How much yeast would you think the jug should have. Right it just layers the bottom. Am I looking for much more?

Ok I can try that. Thanks. I thought yeast especially a fresh package would definately wake up and get going once all the swirling action happens to aerate it. How much yeast would you think the jug should have. Right it just layers the bottom. Am I looking for much more?

Check this out to see what your starter should end up at.

www.yeastcalc.com

tomas77 said:

Sometimes they dont make it through shipping. It's hard to tell by the eye how much you should have though. I'd say once it all settles somewhere around 1/4inch. That's totally ball parking it though. I will say this, if you make a 1L starter and then step that up again, you'll have plenty of yeast slurry for a batch. Unless your making some crazy high OG monster. What yeast are you using by the way?

wyeast ale 1056. It's been 3 days now so i'm gonna set the starter in my cooler to crash and settle everything. See how much I have then.

tomas77 said:
wyeast ale 1056. It's been 3 days now so i'm gonna set the starter in my cooler to crash and settle everything. See how much I have then.

Just grab some Safeale US05. It's a dry yeast and is the exact same strain and like half the price. Plug your OG into the yeast calc on mr.malty.com and it will tell you how many packs to use. FWIW US05 is pretty much my go to yeast is a joy to use. No starters needed, just grab a pack or two and your good to go.

Back