How much heat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backwoodsbrewing

Reaction score
I am currently planning a e brew set up and am working with limited space. How far away from a drywall covered wall would be ideal for a functioning HLT or boil kettle. Would a steel panel or hardi backer be beneficial as a heat shield or would it trap heat and make the problem worse.

E brew? I'd think a couple of inches of air space and you'll be fine. I don't notice excessive heat coming off my E keggles as was the case when I used to use propane.

E brew i.e. Electronic brewing maybe a poor choice of words hot water tank elements, thermo probes more like an electric rims setup

My walls are plastic covering insulation (unfinished basement). I give the e-kettles the gap it takes for the cable to stick out of the side (with a hot pod cable enclosure) and that's probably even overkill.

I have standard painted dry wall immediately behind my electric kettle in my basement. I wipe it down about once a year with some spray cleaner and a damp sponge whether it needs it or not. Haha it usually needs a cleaning from minor wort splashing and cleans right up nice.

A back splash would be nice, but not really needed unless you want to take blingy pics of your brew area....

Another reason I ask is I have sheets of PRP similar to FRP I want to glue to the wall . I got from work for free (insert **** eating grin) and I don't want to melt it . Once it's up I can start building my controller and hopefully start brewing again

Back