How much head space is to much.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rys06Tbss

Reaction score
How much head space is to much head space. I currently have a Flanders that have been done for a while. I have a feeling 5 gallons will be done and gone way to soon. I wanted to try and make a bigger batch that will be a Sudo Solera and start with 10 gallons. I found a 15 gallon fermentor on the bay that will fit where I need it. Is 5 gallons to much space? I really dont want to make a batch of vinegar.

No. I don't think 5 gallons is too much.

When I was stepping up my gear I used to brew 3 gallon batches and ferment in 5 gallon carboys. So I had two+ gallons of head space with no ill effects. I know 5 is bigger than 2, but still.

No scientific literature to back that up though.

The time in the fermentor would have an effect on whether a large head space is okay or not okay. The protective layer of CO2 which fills the head space will eventually equalize with the gaseous makeup of atmospheric air given enough time. An air lock prevents some of this exchange. There is in and out movement of gases as temperature and air pressure changes occur though.

Installing a one way valve to maintain, lets say, 0.5 volumes of CO2 in the fermentor may negate any possible problem with very large head space volume.

Or if you have CO2 available just replenish the CO2 layer occasionally.

Head space for no apparent reason:
At least 20% more than your wort volume, but no more than 50%.

So
10 gal (wort) x 1.2 = 12 gal (min fermenter size)
10 gal (wort) x 1.5 = 15 gal (max fermenter size)

You're Good! :cross:

OP, are you talking about 5g in a 15g fermentor? That's how I read it on first pass. In the future you plan to make 10g batches but currently have a 5g recipe you plan to ferment in a 15g vessel.

I'd say if you don't plan to age for any extended period of time and the vessel seals pretty tight you're probably alright, even though that's not an optimal set-up for 5g.

I've never done a sour, but you've got yeast eating sugars and then bugs eating what's left. Does oxygen create an environment for some new type of bug and if so is there really anything left to eat at that point?

I've never done a sour, but you've got yeast eating sugars and then bugs eating what's left. Does oxygen create an environment for some new type of bug and if so is there really anything left to eat at that point?

Yeah, acetobacteria. They need oxygen and eat alcohol. No one wants to drink a glass of vinegar.

Wow... I wasnt subscribed to my own thread... n00b. Anyhow. Im planning on a 10 gallon batch. So 5 gallons of headspace isnt bad then. Thanks for the advice everybody

just to be sure... you mention "flanders" in your first post. is this 10 gallon batch also a flanders, and are you planning on aging it in the 15 gal fermenter? while fermentation won't be a prob, i wouldn't age it for months in something with that much headspace...

Latest posts

Back