How much grain can I mash in a 5-6 gal pot BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhorgan1

Reaction score
I have a 5 or 6 gallon pot that I use for brewing. I want to say 6 but I'm not really sure. I want to be a Raging ***** clone but its a big freakin beer. 1.084 OG. Because I am cheap I want to use as much grain as possibly and as little DME as possible. Right now my planned mash is 10lbs of 2-Row Pale Malt and 1.5lbs of Crystal 60. I have the one pot that I think is 6 gallons and 2 other pots which I'm pretty sure are 5 gallons. Once one of my buckets is ready to be emptied out I'll use that to measure the capacity of each pot.

Sorry if this is a duplicate, the advertisement right below the search link covers up the search box. I don't know how else to do a search. :mad:

You can fit that grain bill in either pot, but the 6 gallon would make it easier, since you'll be able to mash/sparge thinner.

EDIT: Just realized your doing BIAB, not sure if the limitations are the same as a normal 5 or 6 gallon mash tun.

I do have a 5 gal cooler thats lying around somewhere but it doesnt have a false bottom or any other sort of gadgets. Is there a way that I could do the mash with the cooler and the pots without having to get any other equipment?

jhorgan1 said:
I do have a 5 gal cooler thats lying around somewhere but it doesnt have a false bottom or any other sort of gadgets. Is there a way that I could do the mash with the cooler and the pots without having to get any other equipment?
That's what I do. Bag lines cooler. Pour strike water in, stir in grain, mash. Pull bag, put in BK that has sparge water, stir, rest, pull, squeeze, discard, add first runnings, boil.

With a beer that big and using smaller 5-6 gallon mash vessels, you might need to look at using two pots for the mash, doubtful you can get a 1.084 gravity out of a 5-6 gallon mash. Could also boil w/ two pots so you can collect more runnings which will improve efficiency.

Search for the search button...hah...it is at the band down a few inches at the center page of the main screen in white:mug:

You can get a cooler for $20 and mash as much as you want, just do two boils, as above suggested. Cheaper than sing a third pot unless you score a tamale pot our turkey fryer pot on the cheap

Back