How much gas is enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlovin

Reaction score
I am bringing four 5 gallon kegs to a party. I have a 20 lb co2 tank with about 700 psi still left in it . My question is : is this going to be enough co2 for the party or should I refill ?

Why push your luck? I'd make sure I had a spare or bite the bullet and refill. You can do the numbers maybe someone will for you but I'd play it safe and not risk running out of gas

Unfortunately since compressed CO2 is stored as a liquid (like with propane) you need to weigh the tank to figure out how much CO2 is left.

Unfortunately since compressed CO2 is stored as a liquid (like with propane) you need to weigh the tank to figure out how much CO2 is left.

This^

If it's skimpy, and the beer is important to the party I would have a backup tank in this case. Is anyone else serving beer, you could get gas from when push comes to shove?

I had a bit left, also around the 700psi mark in my 15# tank, and got it refilled. The amount left that was blown out before he refilled it was astonishing! I could have served 10 kegs from that, at least.

yep, next time, if ever, it's empty, find out what the tank weighs, then you know how much you have left in the future...

i have heard of, some people store theirs on a scale....

If I had 700psi remaining I wouldn't think twice--you're fine.

You're not having to force carb those kegs, just push the product out.

BTW, this is a good reason to keep an eye out for a 5# tank, to make it easier to carry and to have a spare.

What your gauge reads is also influenced by temperature; my gauges always show lower gas remaining when cold than when they're warm. The pic below shows me as having just under 800psi, but that's a warm tank (I keep it outside the keezer, feed it through the collar to a distribution manifold). At 700psi, assuming your gauge is correct, you'll be just fine.

servingpressure.jpg

I was never sure if that took the valve/reg in account or not...

Yes, the stamped T(are) weight includes the valve, handle, and snap ring.

T25.2LB ==> Tare weight = 25.2#

You do need to remove the regulator assembly or guestimate. Or better yet, weigh with and without and make a note of the difference for next time.

was thinking regulator like I have in my paintball tanks. Have not used co2 in a long time. there is no HPR on the co2 tank (my air tanks are all 4500 to 250psi)..... was not thinking the external reg... :) or in this case, the only reguator.

but good to know it means the valve as well.

Thanks

As always thank you guys for your input and all the great information… New development in this fiasco is that it seems as though you need a Hydro test done every five years. My tank has not had one since 1992. Needless to say they will not fill it until I get a Hydro test , Which cannot be done for another two weeks. So they were able to scrounge up a 5 pound CO2 tank they are going to let me borrow until my tank can be tested. So now my new question is about how many corny kegs can I dispense with a 5 pound tank?

As always thank you guys for your input and all the great information… New development in this fiasco is that it seems as though you need a Hydro test done every five years. My tank has not had one since 1992. Needless to say they will not fill it until I get a Hydro test , Which cannot be done for another two weeks. So they were able to scrounge up a 5 pound CO2 tank they are going to let me borrow until my tank can be tested. So now my new question is about how many corny kegs can I dispense with a 5 pound tank?

10ish?

Number of kegs is dependent slightly on serving pressure. (as you will have more volume of CO2 in the keg after dispensing at higher pressures)

With no leaks a 5lb tank will get you about 15-22 5gal kegs. (dispensed not force carbonating them)

http://www.micromatic.com/beer-questions/how-many-beer-kegs-dispensed-out-co2-tank

All tanks should read around 700-750psi at room temp until they are almost empty.

Realize this is all simply a test of your devotion to beer.

That was the number I was going to say...ish.

That also presumes you're not force-carbing anything out of that tank.

Have you actually weighed your tank to find out how many pounds of CO2 it still contained? Just curious.

I have 2 aluminum tanks one 20# the other 15#, both in great condition and looking very good. A few days ago, both ended up to be past the Hydro date when it was time to refill/exchange. I called around and even the places that simply swap out wanted me to pick up the cost of the hydro test, on a tank that I wouldn't own anymore...

I found out the charge for the hydro test was anywhere between $12.50 and $35 depending on the supplier. Most were around $25 and take a week.

The 20# for the kegerator:
The one place I had eyed up for best total price (Praxair), I gave them another call before heading out. A different guy picked up the phone and said if the tank was "theirs" (a sticker with their name on it), there would be no charge on the hydro test and I could swap it out.

Well it didn't have their name on it, but I took it over anyway, ready to pay the $15 for the test. He looked at it and said, "Oh, that tank I'll swap out, no charge for the test" and pulled a nice shiny one from the rack. So that one will be exchanged with them when time comes, 2 years from now or so, so it will always be current.

The #15 for the "brew room" (kitchen):
No-one seems to stock that size for an exchange, so I'll need to have it hydro tested. I like the 15# for taking to events, although a 5#, just for that purpose, would be easier.

Latest posts

Back