How much flaked rice to use in light ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
I've got a few "yeast slurry building" brews lined up and have been wanting to try something I haven't brewed yet. The question is if I'm making a light ale what percentage of flaked rice should I use? The grain/hop bill is

German Pilsner
Saaz
wlp001

Mash that around 147f for 90 min to dry it out and shoot for a low gravity 1.040ish brew thats in the 12-15ibu range. Should I use 5%, 10%, etc? I'm looking to dry it out a bit more and lighten up the body. I've read minute rice can be substituted since it's already been pre-cooked. So next question is would this qualify as minute rice?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-Pack-Great-Value-Instant-White-Rice-28-oz/47225979

For me the total flaked rice in a light ale would be none. But maybe 5%??? I believe any Instant Rice would do. They are just generic versions of Minute Rice.

For me also: 147 for 90 minutes alone would be as dry and as light bodied as I would want.

For me the total flaked rice in a light ale would be none. But maybe 5%??? I believe any Instant Rice would do. They are just generic versions of Minute Rice.

For me also: 147 for 90 minutes alone would be as dry and as light bodied as I would want.

I hear ya. However I have brewed almost 100 batches now and have not used rice. Wanted to give it a go for learning purposes.

107 batches without rice... Now you have me thinking... But???

Yeah supposedly it helps lighten the body and is a cheap sugar fix. So my next question is would the rice convert with (Avangard) Pilsner malt only or would I need to look at throwing some 6 row in there also?

You can go 20-30% flaked rice (or flaked corn or a combo) for a light American lager type of beer.
You will have enough diastatic power with pilsner malt to fully convert. Avangard's pilsner is 67 DP, so you'll have enough DP, no worries!

There apparently is some "research", that in these lower alcohol beers the adjunct helps improve hop flavour stability and shelf life.... I've brewed a couple of batches with 15-20% rice in 3.5-4% beer and it's worked really well.

I usually use 10% flaked rice in combo with 10-15% flaked corn in preprohibition style lagers and cream ales(my take on them anyway). 10% rice also with 10-20% malted rye is interesting. The rice seems to amplify rye flavor a bit.

Edit: ...,that is, when I use rice, usually I do not, but go though 15-20 pounds a year.

Last edited:
You can go 20-30% flaked rice (or flaked corn or a combo) for a light American lager type of beer.
You will have enough diastatic power with pilsner malt to fully convert. Avangard's pilsner is 67 DP, so you'll have enough DP, no worries!

Alright Yoop! Seeing as I'm brewing your fizzy yellow beer next batch...I know I know different recipe lol Anywho if I use 20% rice with wlp001 and shoot for something in the 4.7% abv range (15-17 ibus) would I get any off flavors if I did not lager and did not use amalayze enzyme? If so I may just use straight up pilsner, bitter with magnum and finish with hallertau mf. Something lite and easy to drink ya know?

How about dosing with amyloglucadaise after primary fermentation subsides? That would dry it out without additional starch.

Go 'Noles

Brooo Brother

Go Noles! Btw love your avatar pic! The blues always represent my hometown well! As a famous decorated fighter from there once said..."PENSACOLA IN THA HOUSE!!!" - Roy Jones Jr.

Alright Yoop! Seeing as I'm brewing your fizzy yellow beer next batch...I know I know different recipe lol Anywho if I use 20% rice with wlp001 and shoot for something in the 4.7% abv range (15-17 ibus) would I get any off flavors if I did not lager and did not use amalayze enzyme? If so I may just use straight up pilsner, bitter with magnum and finish with hallertau mf. Something lite and easy to drink ya know?

I probably wouldn't use the amylase because you will probably get something like 1.007 or so without it. That's dry enough. You still want a little bit of flavor/body to it. Not much- it will be light and crisp, but you don't want it to be just water like.

I like flaked corn recipes a bit better than the once with rice, but that's just me. Rice is neutral, and will give you good results.

One of my light lager recipes is 28% corn and the rest pilsner malt, and one has a bit of carapils in it for head, but I think you're right in the ballpark. WLP001 is a good choice, but if you want to use a lager yeast, I think 34/70 at 65 degrees will give you a great result.

Go Noles! Btw love your avatar pic! The blues always represent my hometown well! As a famous decorated fighter from there once said..."PENSACOLA IN THA HOUSE!!!" - Roy Jones Jr.

Fond memories of P-Cola. 'Course that was nearly 48 years ago. When our daughter was a 'Nole we'd get down to Talle' a few times a year to see Bobby and the boys. Great times.

Brooo Brother

I probably wouldn't use the amylase because you will probably get something like 1.007 or so without it. That's dry enough. You still want a little bit of flavor/body to it. Not much- it will be light and crisp, but you don't want it to be just water like.

I like flaked corn recipes a bit better than the once with rice, but that's just me. Rice is neutral, and will give you good results.

One of my light lager recipes is 28% corn and the rest pilsner malt, and one has a bit of carapils in it for head, but I think you're right in the ballpark. WLP001 is a good choice, but if you want to use a lager yeast, I think 34/70 at 65 degrees will give you a great result.

Yoop:

What's your opinion on 6-row vs. 2-row in American lagers. I know there's very little difference with modern grains, but I've always used 6-row in my Pre-Prohibition (with corn only) for authenticity. I know I don't need the disastatic power to convert the corn but I feel like the extra protein gives the finished beer better body and mouthfeel without using carapils.

Thoughts?

Brooo Brother

I'll answer that for me anyway, as pre prohibition lagers are one of my regular brews;

I used to use 6 row, and they came out fine, but have switched to two row mostly since I always have it on hand. I don't use carapils or anything like that, but will sometimes add 5 or 10% munich or vienna(whatever I have open) to malt it up a bit. for base malt usually I use 50% pils, 20- 25% 2 row and the balance different combos rye malt, wheat malt, flaked corn or rice.

Sometimes the two row I use is a speacialty two row, like Irish stout malt (very high diastic BTW) or MO, golden promis etc, again, depending on what is open or in line to be used, stock rotation wise. The heavier two rows make the addition of a cara or munich type less necessary too.

I'll answer that for me anyway, as pre prohibition lagers are one of my regular brews;

I used to use 6 row, and they came out fine, but have switched to two row mostly since I always have it on hand. I don't use carapils or anything like that, but will sometimes add 5 or 10% munich or vienna(whatever I have open) to malt it up a bit. for base malt usually I use 50% pils, 20- 25% 2 row and the balance different combos rye malt, wheat malt, flaked corn or rice.

Sometimes the two row I use is a speacialty two row, like Irish stout malt (very high diastic BTW) or MO, golden promis etc, again, depending on what is open or in line to be used, stock rotation wise. The heavier two rows make the addition of a cara or munich type less necessary too.

Thanks. My last Pre-Pro was 40% 6-row Pilsner, 40% Maris Otter for base grain. The remaining 20% was flaked corn (no rice, since rice wasn't a common adjunct before Prohibition), CaraPils, acidulated and a pinch of Light Munich but I don't remember the exact proportions (currently on the road and away from my data sheets). It won Best in Show out of ~400 entries, so I was quite pleased. Like you, I'm thinking about switching out to domestic 2-row Pilsner malt. So it's working out well for you?

Brooo Brother

It works out for me fine. But keep in mind I brew mainly to taste, and make no attempt to conform to any particular style, as I have little interest in contests (also logistically difficult for me to enter).

That's why I'm free to replace the corn with rye malt, make recipes on brew day based on grain supply, rather than precedent, etc.

Latest posts

Back