Clean my fermenter keg from stains/dirt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloke

Reaction score
hi,

i use an normal half barrel (58liter) american keg as fermenter. the opening is original size so it is har to go inside for a scrub. i think the keg was uncleaned for a while too long so it seems like it is really stuck. at the level of top of the beer level.
i have tried with normal dishwashing powder with use to do the trick, but no. yesterday i tried with sodiumprecarbonate and it stood for about 12 hour. it seem to have removed some dirt bit still like a white gray brownish line still left there. could it be calcum or something or what should i use to get it clean?
have not tried pbw but i heard sodiumprecarbonate is just as good. or?

I use PBW and a carboy cleaner. Soaking may not be enough to get it all, so some kind of agitation is needed. The carboy cleaner works great since it fits through the keg opening easily, and can reach places that a brush can't.
i really like that i was looking for a soft cloth brush that will fit in the opening of PET growlers. thanks

First: +1 to both the above posts. If you haven't used PBW (or the homemade version) before, it'll be an epiphany.
Second: I see from your other posts that you're an avid DIY'er so this should be right up your alley; Build a keg washer. Here's my barebones prototype:
Kegwasher1.jpeg

I use PBW at 130° ..Others on here use it at around 150° but as my pump (not a 'pond pump..more powerful) is rated up to 152° I like to leave a margin and 130° while circulating for about 20 mins is every bit as effective as scrubbing with a scotchbrite. I use a CIP ball on a QD so that I can also use the ball in my kettle..problem is though my CIP ball is a bit too big to fit in my sankes. There are smaller ones available (and I keep meaning to buy one) but in lieu of a ball you can just cap a pipe and drill a number of holes in it.
PS: I quite like that cap you made for your sanke as well as the proposed pressure capable racking cane.. I've made something similar with a floating diptube for my own sankes.
:mug:

First: +1 to both the above posts. If you haven't used PBW (or the homemade version) before, it'll be an epiphany.
Second: I see from your other posts that you're an avid DIY'er so this should be right up your alley; Build a keg washer. Here's my barebones prototype:
View attachment 848081
I use PBW at 130° ..Others on here use it at around 150° but as my pump (not a 'pond pump..more powerful) is rated up to 152° I like to leave a margin and 130° while circulating for about 20 mins is every bit as effective as scrubbing with a scotchbrite. I use a CIP ball on a QD so that I can also use the ball in my kettle..problem is though my CIP ball is a bit too big to fit in my sankes. There are smaller ones available (and I keep meaning to buy one) but in lieu of a ball you can just cap a pipe and drill a number of holes in it.
PS: I quite like that cap you made for your sanke as well as the proposed pressure capable racking cane.. I've made something similar with a floating diptube for my own sankes.
:mug:
i second the diy keg blasters. i got a kegland one but its not really needed they are too easy to make.

also i find that an easy way to rinse is to have multiple buckets. after running oxyclean or pbw , i just lift the pump and place it in a bucket of clean water for the rinse. then after that you can use another bucket of fresh clean water and rinse again. etc.

another option is to use a bucket with a spigot and replace the dirty used water with fresh as the spigot is draining.

thanks for the replys! i did build kegwasher once but might have needed a better pump for more pressure. and also have a cip ball but it might be to big or my sanke too. i might look into that again.
it almost eels like it need s some polishing or rubbing with something. maybe get e new toiletbrush and make a longer handle and sqeece it on and run it with a drill. have to work something out.

thanks Broken Crow. These days I use a larger setup with a tee and butterfly valve with sightglass ontop for dryhopping in oygenfree environment to reduce oxidation. also use the keglands float. for tapping beer from fermenter from the surface.

cheers

thanks for the replys! i did build kegwasher once but might have needed a better pump for more pressure. and also have a cip ball but it might be to big or my sanke too. i might look into that again.
it almost eels like it need s some polishing or rubbing with something. maybe get e new toiletbrush and make a longer handle and sqeece it on and run it with a drill. have to work something out.

thanks Broken Crow. These days I use a larger setup with a tee and butterfly valve with sightglass ontop for dryhopping in oygenfree environment to reduce oxidation. also use the keglands float. for tapping beer from fermenter from the surface.

cheers
Maybe you could try something like this with a longer extension? With a narrow extension you might be able to get enough angle to reach the sides. Not sure if you would risk scratching the inside of the keg but for just a few $$ it might be worth a try.

Attachments

• IMG_7665.jpeg
    IMG_7665.jpeg
    419.8 KB · Views: 0
Back