How Much Does Size Matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Size Are Your Current Batches

• Less than 5 Gallons

• 5 Gallons

• 10 Gallons

• 15 Gallons

• 1 Barrel

• More than 1 Barrel

• It Varies A Lot (please describe below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

MultumInParvo

Reaction score
I am currently a 5 gallon a batch brewer, and was curious about how big your batches were. Please select one of the answers above. Or the closest fit to what you do.

Also, why do you do the batch size that you are currently with? Cost, space, the right amount?

Would you like to go bigger? Smaller?

I do 5 gallon batches because its cheaper, I have little space, and also I am new to homebrewing so I want to try as many recipes/procedures as I can.

I brew 5 gallon batches of beer, and have since the beginning. The only way I would brew a smaller batch was on a strictly experimental basis, and where I thought there might be a good chance I wouldn't want to finish 5 gallons. I have brewed two smaller batches (one of one gallon, one of 2.5 gallons), the former of apfelwein, the second of cider.

I have no intention of going to 10 gallon or larger batches. First, I tend to like a variety of beers, and 10 gallons takes too long to drink and occupies too many bottles. Second, 10 gallon batches weigh so much that the containers cannot be manually lifted, necessitating movement to a system with lines and pumps....complexity that I wish to avoid.

Started with 5 gallon extract batches, moved to 10 and then 15 gallon all-grain, and have recently transitioned to one barrel batches (voted 1 barrel). Bigger batches make the most sense for me. Takes the same amount of time and ensures that my pipeline is always full. The price per beer gets cheaper and I can give away all the beer I want without worrying about running out. The only drawbacks are it takes up a fair amount of space and the initial set-up cost wasn't cheap.

I usually brew 5 gallon batches, but sometimes brew 8 gallon (to fill a 3 gallon and 5 gallon keg).

10 gallons seemed to be the perfect balance of cost and volume for brewing. Decomissioned Sanke kegs are perfect for this, and often cost less than buying a stainless steel 8 gallon kettle. For this reason, I figured that I would rather end up with twice as much beer for the same amount of brewing time.

a lot according to SWMBO .

That being out of the way I do 10 gallon batches and I find i am brewing too often and other things are getting pushed to side. I really would like to get to 20 or maybe 1 barrel batches soon.

I used to think I would always to 5g batches, two kids later I'm on to 10g batches since I'm brewing no more than half as much as I used to! Kids, can't live with them, can't safe surrender them...

I recently moved to 2.5 gallon batches. It makes more sense for my set up right now. With 2 kids under 2, time is pretty tight so I decided to brew less at one time, but brew more often . . . .if that makes sense. Let's me try a lot more recipes too.

I have been doing full boils so the big outdoor brew days have taken a back seat to the full boils on the stovetop for 2.5 gallon batches.

I will surely go back to 5 gallon batches once time opens up, but right now, smaller batches brewed in 2 hours just works.

I currently do 5 gallons, but do plan on doing some 10 gallons in the future. I have a big enough tun and kettle, but my current burner won't handle the larger kettle, and I'm not going to try and chill a 10 gallon batch with a 25' IC. When I upgrade those things I will probably go up to 10 gallons. Even then, I will probably still do mostly 5 gallon batches, but with some tried and true recipes that I always want to have on hand, I will probably brew those in 10 gallon batches.

Looks like 65% for 5 gallons right now, and 25% for 10 gallons. It'll be interesting to see if these numbers remain if more people vote.

Thanks for the input so far!

Mine differs because I normally brew 6-6.5 gallon batches. This I do so I can bottle some after kegging the 5 gallon corny. Eventually I will start brewing 10 gallon batches.

I've pretty much been doing 5 gallon batches exclusively, but I just ordered ingredients to do a few 2.5 and 1 gallon batches. I'm trying to experiment a little more with recipes, so I wanted to be able to do small similar batches rather than having to brew 5 gallons each time. I'm also thinking it will be nice for Barleywines and other big/special beers that I'd rather not go through 5 gallons of.

I've only done 2 batches, and both have been 5 gallons. Once I get the basics down, and a good routine going, though, I'd like to start kegging and would then move to 10 gallon batches.

After about 8 months of extracts and partial mashes I jumped head first in to 10 gallon AG batches. One of the best decisions I ever made!

New recipes get the 5gal treatment. Once I know I like it I make 10gal batches. I can keep a second keg around and serve it consecutive, or wait a few kegs and have that flavor available again. If the equipments already out, I'd rather make 10 gallons with only maybe half to an hour added to brew day and get the extra 5gal made. Moving to no sparge/chill, I may end up with a chance to do two 10gal batches in one day. That would flood my poor pipeline!

I mostly do 5 gal batches but have done a couple of 25 gal ones too.

I've brewed all 5 gal batches, except for one 4 gal. I am planning a 1 gal graff made from fresh apples that are going to go bad if I don't use them soon. I am planning on going to 10 gal batches as soon as I can resource a kettle (hopefully Christmas). Probably still do 5 gal for new recipes tho.

If I decide to get more fermenters, I may step up to 10 gallon batches. Right now though, I'm still experimenting with different styles and wouldn't want that much of the same beer. I brew 5 gallons of something new, or that I havn't had for awhile whenever a fermenter frees up.

I am in the 5 gal. club as well. I like having the ability to have a variety of styles avaialbe. I would also hate to do a 10g batch and have it suck. When the time comes that I have a house and perfected some more recipies I will move up to 10+ gal batches. I have roughly #400+ of grain so this should keep me busy and diverse for a while

My 10 gallon batches generally turn into 8.5 gallons, by the time I rack and place in kegs they don't ever fill up two corney kegs completely.

5 is a good compromise for me. Now that I've started kegging it's frankly too much beer for me, but to brew anything less seems like a waste of time.

5 is a good compromise for me. Now that I've started kegging it's frankly too much beer for me, but to brew anything less seems like a waste of time.

Yeah. Thats a lot like how I feel. Why not do 5 when the keg is 5, right?

you guys don't think this way: gee that widmers/blue moon/fat tire/sn clone sounds good. these are my favorite beers so if 5 gals is good, 10 is better! especially when a keg only lasts 2 weeks (2 pints a day(VERY CONSERVATIVE)).
I don't because for me it's way more about the process of brewing than 'having beer'. The bigger the batches...the less often I'd be able to brew.

I do 10 gallon batches for the house beers. Basically any recipe that's been a proven winner ( A gotta have beer in stock). The reason for the 10 gallon is that I want some in my keezer (5g keg) and also some in in my 3gallon cornie for transporting to a party. The 10 gallons allows me to fill the 5g, 3g, and some bottles. Works out perfectly.

I do need more people to drink it... from tap! I don't enjoy bottling so taking a whole bunch to work or something is not for me. Anyway I can brew 10 gallon batches, but I normally do 5 gallon, pipeline is full as is. That's why I now have 3 five gallon ferments full of stuff that needs to age a year.

Back