How much DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdyman

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I’m prepping for my next brew and am planning on making my first starter since this will be a big beer with an OG of 1.087. I am planning on using WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast and have two vials that I was planning on using. The best by date on the yeast is March 13th. I plan on putting both vials into my starter to help get to my cell count in fewer steps.
My question is how much DME should I use and what ratio of water should I use it with? From my calculations on yeastcalc I figured I need around 311 billion cells. I know yeastcalc has a sidebar that tells you how much DME to add but I keep on getting confused because the amount of DME is measured in OZ and I bought some premeasured half cup bags of light DME from my LHBS for my starter. I assumed I would just double the standard half cup DME to two pints of water, but from my research it seems as though that will not cut it.
Finally, I have a capsule of yeast nutrient. Should I add this to the yeast starter or to my wort?

Thanks for all of the help guys.

1.5 cups DME with 2.5 quarts water should get you there in one step

add the nutrient to the wort at pitching. it is used by the yeast during the lag phase.

Ok so you said 2.5 qts of water and 1.5 cups of DME. I only have a 2 L flask, How am I supposed to fit all of that in there?

Use multiple flasks (or even a sanitized glass bottle) or do a step-up starter - www.yeastcalc.com

Example of a 2L step-up started attached, 5.5 gal based on 80% viability and use of a stir plate...

untitled.jpg

I use 4.2 oz. of DME and then add water to make 1 L total volume. Works like a champ. You can step your starter to make larger equivalent volumes in a smaller flask. Cheers, Bob

Ok so you said 2.5 qts of water and 1.5 cups of DME. I only have a 2 L flask, How am I supposed to fit all of that in there?
you can't.

your options
1 - stepped starter as above (same cell count)
2 - do two 1.25 quart starters simultaneously (same cell count)
3 - do one 1.75 quart starter (lower cell count)

any of the three options will produce good beer

Latest posts

Back