How Much Crystal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Know

Reaction score
Going for a medium-light body brew with coffee and vanilla beans. I'm looking for suggestions from experience on how much crystal I should use in my grain bill to get a semi sweet base for the vanilla beans to pair with.

6-Row - 73%
Flaked Corn - 12%
Crystal 40 - 9%
Flaked Barley - 6%

What does everyone think? Is this enough crystal to get a sweet but not too sweet base for the coffee and vanilla to work with. I really don't want it to come out too dry. Suggestions?

If you want to avoid it going too dry I'd remove the flaked corn, which is a source of mainly simple fermentable sugars. Hard to judge what is sweet but not too sweet! :-D

Your yeast selection is an important factor here and so is the OG. So it's hard to answer your question. You'll have a lot more perceived sweetness at OG 1.07 then 1.045

Agree with the other replies that there are a few more factors to consider. That said, I have Brewing Classic Styles in front of me and just checked.

Blonde - 6%
ESB - 7% (15 and 120)
American Amber - 14% (both 40 and 120)
American Brown - 9% (40 and 60)
English Mild - 14% (60 and 120)

Seems like you're in the ballpark, assuming those are decent style references. I'm wondering if you don't want a tiny amount of a darker crystal to complement coffee and vanilla?

If you want to avoid it going too dry I'd remove the flaked corn

I was hoping that by keeping the flaked corn around 10% and mashing at 152F range I could keep enough body while still being light. I'm going for an easy drinker, but not watery. I have some lactose on hand for emergency body building.

Your yeast selection is an important factor here and so is the OG.

For yeast, overpitching S-04 fermented at low 60's (62-ish ambient).

My Beersmith: est. OG = 1.065, est. FG = 1.016, IBUs = 30

Seems like you're in the ballpark, assuming those are decent style references. I'm wondering if you don't want a tiny amount of a darker crystal to complement coffee and vanilla?

I'm semi going for a Cream Ale (with no particular concern for sticking to style parameters)

I do have a couple oz of 90L and 120L. This is a 3gal batch so maybe an ounce could compliment. Though I am trying to stay away from burnt or toasted flavors. I'm going for bright flavors.

Thanks for the replies

Back