How much CO2 can a sam adams bottle handle ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beekeeperman

Reaction score
I hope i didn't screw up but i just bottle a hefe batch with 3.5 volumes of CO2
or 7 ounces corn sugar for 5 gals.
1/2 the batch is in fairly heavy 22 0z bottles and the other 1/2 is in 12 oz sam adams bottle.
I see now where that much co2 may be pushing it a bit for some bottles.
Anyone have any experience with similar co2 volumes in sam adams wt. (200 grams) bottles

I'd think that 3.5 is nearing the edge of where you can safely bottle in a standard beer bottle. I've carbed Sam Adams bottles at 3.2 and never had any problems.

I'd just store the beer in a cool place and try not to shake it up.

I agree with stru.
You might also want to take precautions like covering the bottles and something under them to catch or retain any liquid if you have a bottle bomb.
good luck.

Most standard beer bottles can handle 3.0 volumes of co2, the thicker walled, heavier bottles that hold Belgians and higher carbonated styles can handle greater volumes of co2.

Most standard beer bottles can handle 3.0 volumes of co2, the thicker walled, heavier bottles that hold Belgians and higher carbonated styles can handle greater volumes of co2.

They can actually handle a bit more, but breweries factor in temperature changes and travel conditions (in a truck... bumpy roads) when they calculate safe co2 levels. If kept cold, and (mostly) stationary, bottles can likely withstand close to 4 volumes. I wouldn't go much above 3.2 though.

When I bottled my Bavarian watermelon hefe, I kept it to 2.8 VCo2. Plenty of carbonation for the style. I like a bit of a safety margin myself.:mug:

So now that its a done deal what would be the best approach to prevent them from fully carbonating if that is possible ? Only been bottled one day now.

thanks everyone.
I just cracked the cap on one of the 12 ozers and got a little hiss already so moved them into the cold storage room in the basement . They are all boxed and inside a
big plastic container with lid just in case.
I figure the temps overnight will drop in the 50s in the cold room with the vents open.
Maybe start drinking some of the 12 ozers sooner than expected, like this weekend.
Its tough being a newb sometimes, :mug:

As an added safety measure(i think ?) i let the beer carbonate some more at room temp for a few -four days and popped the caps on all of them to release pressure then recapped with new bottle caps. About 1/2 doz of the 12 ozers fizzed over a bit but not much. None of the 22ozers fizzed over but all of the bottles had quite a bit of hiss compared to what i am use to.
So, have i alleviated most of the potential for bottle bombs or created some other problem ?

Back