How much cane sugar to prime 22 oz bombers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Nino

Reaction score
Hey! Just wondering for anyone who individually prime bottles with sugar (I know some of you are out there), how much cane sugar would I use to prime a 22 oz bottle? Would 1tsp be overkill or the right amount?

I currently do heaping 1/2 tsp for a 12oz bottle, I'm guessing a level 1 tsp for a 22oz bottle would be right? Has anyone out here done this?

There are several priming sugar calculators out there, like this one:
http://www.brewunited.com/priming_sugar_calculator.php

These let you dial in exactly how much carbonation you want based on beer style. (A bomber is 22oz / 128oz/gallon = 0.172 gallon.)

I usually weigh the sugar on my mini scale, right into the empty bottle. Sugar first, then beer, then cap. After that shake the bottle a bit to get the sugar dissolved.

When you put sugar into individual bottles, add by weight not volume.
A tsp is a volume of sugar. The actual weight of a tsp of sugar can vary depending on how compact it is.
I use table sugar. Between 3 g and 5 g for most 22 oz bottles. 3 g gets you a lighter carb, 5 g gets you a higher carb. You can use anything inbetween if you'd like.
You can go outside of those ranges, but that's generally where I stay. I feel uncomfortable if I go higher than 5.25g.
When filling individual bottles there isn't anything wrong with making them at different carb levels. Fill one with 2.5g of sugar, 3g, 3.5g, 4g, 4.5g, and 5g. See what you like.

I use cubed table sugar (sucrose). Depending on the amount of carbing, add 1-2 cubes for a 22oz. bottle.
One cube is approximately 3.5 - 4 grams each.
If you decide to use the commercially available 11.2-12oz glass bottles, one cube is plenty.

The yeast will take a little more time to break down sucrose into glucose and fructose.
I've found some yeasts are prone to producing acetaldehyde when carbing extract beers in cooler temperatures so it might take some extra time to get the "green" taste or aromas to age out.

Latest posts

Back