How much can a bottle handle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalynch4

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am relatively new to brewing higher gravity beers and I have never considered how much pressure regular 12 oz bottles can handle. I have a cider in the secondary that had an OG of 1.048 and finished at about .99 and looks like it will be about 8-9% ABV. This would be the highest gravity beverage I've ever produced and I don't want bottle bombs.

Does anyone have an opinion on the point where it's smarter to use champagne bottles or something larger/stronger? Does anyone have a good resource to measure this?

Thank you-any help is much appreciated!

Hi all,

I am relatively new to brewing higher gravity beers and I have never considered how much pressure regular 12 oz bottles can handle. I have a cider in the secondary that had an OG of 1.048 and finished at about .99 and looks like it will be about 8-9% ABV. This would be the highest gravity beverage I've ever produced and I don't want bottle bombs.

Does anyone have an opinion on the point where it's smarter to use champagne bottles or something larger/stronger? Does anyone have a good resource to measure this?

Thank you-any help is much appreciated!

If it's finished, and not fermenting any longer, you won't have bottle bombs.

^this

And abv% has absolutely no bearing on whether a bottle can handle the pressure of a beer or not.

If fermentation is complete, there will be no bottle pressure unless you add additional (priming) sugar. The pressure or co2 produced will be directly related to the amount of priming sugar you use.

over carbonation, (too much priming sugar or bottling before fermentation is complete), infection are the two main reasons for bottle bombs. Do your homework and read up on what causes bottle bombs.

Find out about erroneous priming sugar calculators here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/priming-calculator-error-510364/

There seems to be a conspiracy to hide this problem, so my post has been suppressed. (But everyone will read this one for some reason. ???) This hypocrisy must be stopped. Don your foil hat and join me in the crusade to end bad priming calculators.

Has anyone noticed how this thread is now suppressed ever since I provided a link to my thread revealing the truth about priming calculators? Coincidence? Who do you think advertises on this forum? Could it be the same entities that provide "free" priming calculators? Post your thoughts -- if you can get them through the censors!

Even same size bottle is not equal to other bottle.

I'm not sure if it is easy to find in your region but you can use flip-top bottles if you are afraid of overcarbonation. They are at least twice stronger than reqular 0.5l or 0.33l bottles. I've used those for my cider.

Even same size bottle is not equal to other bottle.

I'm not sure if it is easy to find in your region but you can use flip-top bottles if you are afraid of overcarbonation. They are at least twice stronger than reqular 0.5l or 0.33l bottles. I've used those for my cider.

I've had a Fischer flip top blow. I don't believe they are any stronger than other bottles.

I have a post somewhere on this sight that addresses this. Not all 12 oz bottles are equal. Weigh them out and you will see some contain much more material. I weighed out a lot of different bottles and ten emailed the brewery to get further info. The lightest bottles, I was told by the experts, are meant for one use only. In general they are rated for around 2.8 volumes and each filling they lose some integrity. That means you should be able to go to 2.2-2.4 safely assuming the bottle doesn't have any defects from manufacturer or damage. If I wasn't on my phone Id drag up the link for you.

Back