How much beer will I lose dry hopping with whole hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadarnell

Reaction score
I am dry hopping a pale with an oz. of whole hops. Right now they are just floating on top in the primary bucket. I've read that, that's okay and I will sill get some good results from the dry hop.

A lot of folks say you do lose a fair amount of beer though when you rack to the bottling bucket. I figure my priming sugar before I rack though so I need to know about how much of a 5 gallon batch I am going to lose.

If anyone with experience could chime in I'd really appreciate it. Thanks and cheers !!

I try to use only leaf/whole hops when I can get them. I dry hop in a Better Bottle (it has a large opening) and I put the hops in a bag. I'm sure there is some loss, but I'm ok with that.

It's definitely worth it to take the time to put some quart volume markers on your bucket.

I have a coffee grinder that I use to pulverize whole hops for dry hopping. Almost all of it gets dragged down by the yeast after I cold crash

Back